Repairing a Hole in Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I repair a hole in the plasterboard where I have removed a lightswitch, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i would use a slip of timber.

you need a short length of thin timber say 3/4" thick, a shade narrower than the hole and about twice as long as the hole.

you need to fit a 3" screw into the centre of the timber in order to hold it.

you then need to carefully thread the slip of timber through the hole and centralise it over the hole by using the screw to hold it.

then shoot some drywall screws through the existing plasterboard into this backing timber.

once secure you can then fix a patch of plasterboard onto the timber and skim.

the same method can be applied to a slip of plasterboard and dry wall adhesive.

How big is the hole! Sometimes to aid re-wiring, I cut strategically placed 80mm dia. holes is ground floor ceilings. I save the cut outs & just stick them back in after the re-wire using grab adhesive all around the edge. It will work fine as long as the hole is not too big & the PB infill is not too large & heavy. You only need to hold it in place until it grabs & then it will support itself until the adhesive goes off. I then apply reinforcing tape around the join prior to skimming. I use the same method when moving pull switches or to repair other holes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard C the hole is the size of a light switch, cheers the noo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back