Plasterboard Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a plasterboard to repair above a window on the 1st floor

Please see photo

The plasterboard just ends on the windows. It is not screwed into anything where it touches the window. The plasterboard moves when you on push it by the window

About 8 inches before the window and above the plasterboard, there is a beam . I assume the plasterboard when it was installed was screwed into this beam.

I could cut the plasterboard back to that beam, cut a replacement piece of plasterboard and insert it in the hole. I would screw it on the beam, but what about the side closest to the window.

Any ideas. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
On the outside of the window the top of the window frame is up againt the soffit, so no lintel

Expanding foam would be the quick way.

Cutting back, affixing a proper support and then adding fresh board/ scrim/ skim the arguably proper way.

Sponsored Links
Thanks megaross

I was thinking of using expanding foam ... cutting back a section of plastrboard out up to the beam, cutting a new section of plasterboard, screwing it into the beam at one end and then using expanding foam at the other end, on the plasterboard edge. Problem is on a few mm of uPVC window frame above existing plasterboard

Could cut back the plasterboard in the window reveal and try fitting a wooden batton on the brickwork above the uPVC window frame. Batton fixed to brickwork either side of uPVC frame. The only problem with that is what to stick batton to brickwork with, limited space available to insert a drill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back