Repairing Plasterboard in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'll start with an apology - I'm sorry - you must be sick of this sort of question but I promise I have tried to find the answer online for hours!

I've just removed the tiles from my bathroom and it's made a right mess of the plasterboard (down to the paper etc). For most of it, we don't want to replace the tiles, but to paint. The shower and sink area I'll tile or use the wall board things. For the area to be painted, please should I:

1) Replace the plasterboard
2) Try and plaster it
3) Something else

As you've already guessed I'm an amateur but have done some semi-passable plastering and feel capable of replacing plasterboard (once I've watched many videos and taken far too long over it).

Any advice appreciated. Many thanks.
Gordon

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Absolutely not a problem. This is what I would do. Remove any loose bits of paper on the plasterboard, and be "very fussy" about that,, give it a really good going over, looking for blisters etc, don't worry either about any bits where the paper has gone altogether, and the bare inside of the board is showing through. You'll also need to tape corner joints, ceiling line etc if required.
After you've done all that, put some 3mm corner beads around the window, seal all the walls with PVA, and let it dry. Once the first coat of PVA has dried out properly, put "another coat" of PVA on each wall as you go, and put a coat of Bonding Plaster onto the wall, while the PVA is still "wet and tacky",, (never plaster onto dried out PVA). Put on a coat of Bonding Plaster, 2 or 3 mm thick, which will cover any bad spots in the plasterboard. Let the Bonding Coat set/harden properly, (couple of hrs or so), then put on a couple of coats of Multi Finish, and done properly, you'll have a bathroom good enough to paint. I've done it this way for over 50 years and can guarantee the result.
Remember though, as with many things,,, PREPARATION IS THE KEY.

Last edited:
Another good tip that I forgot to mention, is putting red food dye into the white PVA. Mix it in well, give it a really good stir up, and it turns the PVA light pink. That way, you can see exactly where you've been, and if you've missed any areas, especially if you're working on a white or a light coloured background.

Thanks so much darrington, I really appreciate it.
Best wishes
Gordon

Glad to help Gordon, that'll turn out no problem.Happy New Year mate. Anything else, give us a shout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back