Replace a GU10 bulb with short lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I just moved into a property which has 5 dead spot lights in the ceiling.

I did what any useless DIYer did and watched a YouTube and thought that looks easy enough so I removed the bulb expecting the unit to fall like all the YouTube videos, making it nice and easy…. it didn’t.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can put a new bulb into the unit? I’ve tried needle nose pliars to hold the unit in place but then there’s not enough space for the actual bulb.

I honestly can’t believe I can’t change a light bulb in my new house but here we are

Attachments

• 8B15CAB9-CF2D-4A6F-B825-622645372B8C.jpeg
    8B15CAB9-CF2D-4A6F-B825-622645372B8C.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
I would guess that is a conversion to GU10, and likely the whole lamp needs removing and the GU10 holder released so below fitting then drawn back up again, likely spring clips hold the whole light in place.

I would guess that is a conversion to GU10, and likely the whole lamp needs removing and the GU10 holder released so below fitting then drawn back up again, likely spring clips hold the whole light in place.

sorry, just to make sure I fully understand would you suggest pulling the entire light fitting from the ceiling and then adding the light and put it all up together?

Sponsored Links
As you did push to the side with one finger usually works, someone may have pushed the wire back up through the hole, turn power off as they are mains voltage and VERY GENTLY pull, THE WIRES not the white bit they may slide out a touch, failing that take out the fitting and loosen the clamp behind to allow the wires to pull through a touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back