Replace boiler parts every so often?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831.

We've had a few problems. See previous posts.

Under a service contract we've just had the HE and pump done. Like the engineer said, 'you've got a third of a new boiler'.

Boilers like this seem infinitely repairable, and we've just had 2 of the most expensive components replaced.

So is it worth replacing other likely fails periodically? Diverter valve every 5 (?) years. Secondary HE ditto?

I've looked at the prices. I'm not a millionaire, but if the part isn't a fortune, and it's a likely fail (sometime), what's to stop me getting one, and getting it fitted as part of a normal service, so not much more in labour cost?

Just for a house with 2 working adults, 2 teenage children, the hassle of a sudden unexpected boiler failure is a real pain. Almost worth paying a bit more just to avoid that.

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't be expecting someone to change those parts as part of a service for little extra cost, in fact if a customer done that to me say with wanting the divertor valve changed at the service it would be the cost of the service at £65 plus my normal boiler repair charge to change the part.

Mike boilers break down when they are not serviced as described by the makers.

If the boiler is installed as the makers require, and maintenance schedule is also as requested, you would not need replacing parts as your boiler warrants.

If I fit a part sourced by the customers, failure of that part becomes supplier's (that is you) responsibility so subsequent work can become chargeable. If I supply the part and it fails, that part is replaced under warranty.

Raise your eyes.

I'm carry no torch for Vaillant but I know if you're changing components as you have so regularly it will not be the boiler that is the problem.

Vaillant know how to make a boiler like most manufacturers (just not perfect)

Sponsored Links
If you're that concerned why don't you just buy spare parts and wait till parts fail. This way you get the full life from the part that in use and your plumber will be able to repair the boiler with one visit at any time of the day, within reason. I hate getting called to a boiler breakdown when it ends up being a part I don't carry and it's too late to go to the boiler spares merchant.
I would never just routinely change boiler parts unless they need replacing.
This will undoubtedly cost you more money in the long run as whose to say the parts you've replaced wouldn't have remained working up until you replace the boiler.

You have reminded me of a customer with a Potty Puma.

The original had a fault and the Potty engineer could not fix it so they sent a new boiler and fitted it for him.

But they let him keep the original and so whenever I go there he has a whole boiler of spare parts on site!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back