Replace circuit breaker with WIFI smart metering circuit breaker

I want to monitor how much energy our electric shower is using. The shower is currently on a Hager MTN132 B32 MCB.
I assume that this Hager MTN132 B32 MCB goes on to a busbar and has a single live wire connection at the top.

On Amazon and eBay, I have seen MCB's that have WIFI functionality which include metering and other programmable functions (see photo).
However these MCB's seem to have 2 (N&L) connections both at the top and bottom, like a double pole switch. So I wonder if they can be used to replace my Hager MTN132 B32.

Does anyone know if I can just swap these MCB's?
Can I just connect the live wire into the 'L' terminal at the top. Then connect the 'L' terminal at the bottom into the busbar?
Can I leave the 'N' terminals empty? Or does the new MCB need to be attached to the DIN rail without any busbar and have the shower circuit wired through both N & L terminals, like a double pole switch?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 298822
I haven't read all of the thread and I hope this has already been pointed out.

These are switches (actually WiFi controlled relay), not MCB's

Sponsored Links
I haven't read all of the thread and I hope this has already been pointed out. These are switches (actually WiFi controlled relay), not MCB's
Yes, that was first pointed out in post #19 but, as you've probably seen, it has persistently referred to as a 'breaker' as well as having been called an MCB from the very start..

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again for all of the good advice. I think that I will buy the meter device with the clamp. Would it be acceptable to wire it up as shown in the attached photo? Ie. feed a new live wire from a lighting circuit breaker. Then connect the neutral connection to a neutral block in the consumer unit? So the lighting MCB will have 2 live wires coming out the top of it (1 existing wire, plus 1 new wire).
Note that the photo shows a 'split board' with a separation shown between the two splits. There are 2 free slots in the middle available to house the new meter device.

Many thanks.

1679575082722.png

In my own house yes I would connect that way, however you ask would it be acceptable, and rules say needs to be sanctioned by the manufacturer.

I have a clamp-on remote I need to repair sent to me by Scotish Power before days of smart meters able to monitor all (batteries leaked) but I found items using a fixed current a little pointless.

8 kW shower uses 8 kW and not much one can do to change it, clearly the shorter you shower for the less it costs, but knowing the cost does not really help.

I have energy monitors for anything on a plug, and clamp on ammeters, but in real terms it does not help, they are just toys.

Sponsored Links
Just for the record, I installed the meter device and clamp, so it monitors electricity consumption on the circuit supplying the shower. So far it seems to work well. I had to install it in a slot where there was no busbar terminal in the way. It is powered from the lighting MCB.
Thanks to everyone for their advice on this topic.

1681905270922.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back