Installing extra cooker circuit

25 Oct 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am adding another cooker circuit so that I can fit an 6kW electric hob (I currently have a gas hob, and electric oven on a 16amp MCB)

I have run 6mm cable to a 45 amp Cooker switch & connection unit, and bought a Hager B32 MCB to fit in the existing Hager CU.

It appears that I have a spare 'way' on the non-RCD side of the CU (a blanking plate) my question is, will there be a definately be a spare connection on the busbar at this point? I don't want to remove the cover until I have the incoming supply disconnected by my supplier. I read somewhere that unused busbar 'prongs' are removed when the CU is first installed, is that likely?

Does anyone know who to contact in the North West to get my supply disconnected while I do this work? Scottish power referred me to United Utilities, then United Utilities told me to speak to Scottish Power! :confused:

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
It doesn't really need to be anything to do with the electricity supplier, it should be possible to make the busbar in the CU dead by turning off the main isolator switch then confirming it dead. It isn't normal practice to cut back spare ways from the busbar - it is normal practice to fit a blank to it. Under the 17th edition regs if the cable is to be unprotected and concealled in a wall less than 50mm from any surface then it should be RCD protected. Is your main bonding up to scratch? Is the supply adequate for the additional loading?
The work you are suggesting is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regulations - tbh you will probably be safer contacting an electrician to do the work for you.
Thanks for the advice. I was aware that the busbar would be dead with the main switch in the CU switched off, but I'd assumed it would still be a no-no to work on.

The house was built seven years ago, would the main bonding still need to be checked? That reg is interesting as most of the cables in my house are much less than 50mm away from the wall surface, I guess that new houses must have RCD on all circuits now?
Sponsored Links
The reg for 30mA RCD protection of unprotected concealled cables in a wall less than 50mm from the surface came in with the 17th edition regulations earlier this year.
It depends if the bonding was done correctly when the wiring was done 7 years ago, you'll need to verify it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local