Replace conservatory over manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all a few years ago we had plans drawn up for a new 3m x 3m rear extension to replace an existing conservatory. We got planning permission and a build over agreement all agreed but unfortunately the price of just the groundworks to relocate the drain/ manhole that is currently in the conservatory made the whole project not worth while. The conservatory has now reached the end if it's life and against my better judgement looks like we will have to look at getting a replacement. Currently we have a full glass conservatory will this also need a build over agreement if we replace like for like?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Do your own groundworks to move the manhole and build what you wanted originally, 80% of the job is physical labour, yes some knowledge is required but it's learnable.

Unfortunately digging over 2m down and removing 2 massive concrete rings that make the current manhole by hand is above what I can do.

2m is about the depth of one end of our drains and I did it, you just need to ensure you shore it.

Is it not an option to 'abandon' that current manhole and just lay new pipes from the new position to the where the old system joins other manholes?

Sponsored Links
For a conservatory, you can leave the manhole in place and just fit a sealed cover. And did not need a build over agreement.

2m is about the depth of one end of our drains and I did it, you just need to ensure you shore it.

Is it not an option to 'abandon' that current manhole and just lay new pipes from the new position to the where the old system joins other manholes?
For a conservatory, you can leave the manhole in place and just fit a sealed cover. And did not need a build over agreement.
Sounds to me like the fella has a couple of those monster housing site inspection chambers, about 1200mm wide. There will be a lot of mad-up ground and deep exiting trenches to consider. Some houses are just worth avoiding, when it comes to planning rear extensions etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back