Replace double dimmer switch with single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A room in my flat has a double dimmer switch but only one ceiling-mounted light (and no other main lights). It's also old and causing flickering (several of the other single dimmers in the flat have already been replaced because of this).

When I remove the switch from the wall there are two red and two black wires, one of each goes to different parts of the switch, i.e. one pair goes to the dimmer on the left and one pair to the dimmer on the right.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 10.18.02.png

The switches in the consumer unit aren't labelled but the 6A MCB on the left turns off the light.

Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 12.59.53.png

To change this dimmer switch in a safe way am I correct in thinking the cable needs to be disconnected at both ends? I've read elsewhere that only the cables by the dimmer switch need to be disconnected and put in a terminal block but surely that still leaves live wires behind the switch which doesn't sound right?

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 10.18.02.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 10.18.02.png
    1 MB · Views: 233
Sponsored Links
Do you know where the other end is? Presumably at a (disused?) light somewhere.

In connector blocks will be fine. There are always live wires behind switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back