Replace Fluorescent tube with LED tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My fluorescent light stopped working, so decided to replace the entire fitting with a LAP LED batten. Two issues that I am hoping I can get help with.

1. I removed the wires from ceiling to the existing batten and now it looks like the image below.
Am I right in saying, all I need to do now is, connect live and neutral to the LED batten? It is plastic fitting and from what I have read, earth connector doesn't apply to this fitting

2. Wiring needs to extend slightly, by around 40cm so LED batten can be in the right place where I need. Can I use a 2.5mm2 wire ( https://tinyurl.com/yckv5562 ) to connect between LED batten and the white connector?

3. Am I allowed to do this work or need an electrician :cautious: ?

Thanks in advance,
Sura

Sponsored Links
Am I right in saying, all I need to do now is, connect live and neutral to the LED batten?
Yes.
upload_2021-12-29_15-12-56.png

Wiring needs to extend slightly, by around 40cm so LED batten can be in the right place where I need. Can I use a 2.5mm2 wire ( https://tinyurl.com/yckv5562 ) to connect between LED batten and the white connector?
You can if you want; it is much bigger than necessary. 1mm² would still be plenty big enough.

Am I allowed to do this work or need an electrician :cautious: ?
Yes, you are allowed. The police state doesn't start until Saturday.

Suggest you get 1.0mm² cable, as many LED battens have spring clamp terminals that will be too small for 2.5mm².

Am I right in saying, all I need to do now is, connect live and neutral to the LED batten?
Actually no. You need to connect the switched live and neutral. (The wires in the double choc block). The live is the pair of reds in the single choc block. If you connect these it will be permanently on.

Sponsored Links
3. Am I allowed to do this work or need an electrician :cautious: ?
Yes you are allowed, but depending where you live and what room it is in, technically it may notifying, which would cost more to DIY than use a scheme member electrician. For a kitchen in Wales you should notify.

Rules were put in by the English, then we got devolution, then the English watered down the rules, but the changes did not apply to Wales.

Thanks everyone. It is kitchen light.
Yes, noted that I need to connect to the the double block.

Only reason I thought of 2.5 mm2 cable is as I can't really figure out the existing wire thickness and read somewhere that "putting in larger cable isn't a problem in the electrical sense.. it's ok to go bigger than you need, but not smaller.."

thanks again folks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back