Replace or Repair elderly Vaillant?

Sponsored Links
Right just managed to identify the exact model, no mean feat after several glasses of red!! :D

It's a VCW GB 221 H and the flat conversion dates from 1989 so I think the boiler's about the same age. Looking up underneath the boiler, I can see some scale on the underside of the left hand side and assume this is the heat exchanger? To be honest, it's been there since I moved in 2.5 years ago. It's been serviced twice by BG Dec 2003/2004 and both times I've asked them if there was something wrong (flaky bits on the floor of the cupboard it's in seemed a bit odd...) and they reassured me there wasn't a problem. It's been chugging away happily for the last week since the pilot light jet was cleaned so reluctant to interfere with it (sorry that sounded vaguely dodgy! :LOL: )

Is this model worth trying to patch up for another year or two?

Thanks for your help so far, it's been very illuminating and has confirmed my suspicions about homeserve not being completely honest with me....

Mags

vcw 221

the sec heat exchanger could well be on the way out if it's the black plastic thingy

however that does not condem the boiler to the great scrap heap in the sky :eek:

Hi Kev,

Yes, I think it was black plastic originally..... It's on the extreme left hand side, near the front, maybe about 3-4 inches long by about 2 wide with 3 metal pipes about 1/2" diameter going in/out.

Any idea how long it might take to fit a new one or if it's wise to even try poking around in such an ancient piece of kit? According to my teeth sucking friend, it's the hot water exchanger rather than the CH one.

Cheers,

Mags

Sponsored Links
Any idea how long it might take to fit a new one or if it's wise to even try poking around in such an ancient piece of kit? According to my teeth sucking friend, it's the hot water exchanger rather than the CH one.

if its been converted approx 10 mins

takes longer to drain the boiler

:LOL:

kev said:
if its been converted approx 10 mins
10 minutes to change the secondary heat exchanger on the VCW? You're joking! It's a fiddly job, even if you don't do the diverter valve conversion. And if you do (which you're supposed to), it becomes really fiddly - definitely not DIY.

Basically, minor leakage from the top of the plastic heat exchangers is quite common, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the heat exchanger is not functioning properly (other than the leak). If you're taken a short term view of it, just live with it for the time being.

But what about the Homecare cover? BG should be carrying out this repair - that's what they contracted to do! It's not on for them to cancel the cover as soon as an expensive repair looms. And make sure they do the conversion on the diverter valve as well.

Getting a second opinion in the morning, will keep you posted. Thanks for the replies, you've all been really helpful!

Mags

chrishutt said:
[But what about the Homecare cover? BG should be carrying out this repair - that's what they contracted to do! It's not on for them to cancel the cover as soon as an expensive repair looms. And make sure they do the conversion on the diverter valve as well.

I can't really see why BG should be carrying out the repair when it's on a contract with homeserve Chris....I mean I know they take the blame for most things but thats a bit harsh.

oh i dont know oillski, am sure i sure a BG van in Osama Bin Ladens last video ;)

Sorry, I mixed up Homeserve with Homecare, which is provided by BG.

Got the second opinion, seemed like a really decent guy, took the time to explain to me exactly what homeserve had diagnosed as the problem and was a bit bemused that it was working so well despite needing both heat exchangers replacing and a new combustion chamber, ie a new boiler!

He told me not to touch it as long as it kept working but to give him a call when it didn't and he'd put a new Worcester in for £1100. I'm still wating for my cheque from homeserve and have come to the conclusion that if you have an old boiler, it's more use to have the number of a local plumber that's been recommended rather than pay monthly premiums. Once again, thanks for your help, this is a great site!

Cheers,

Mags

know nothing here but if it's working and it's March and you're moving on in a year, leave it

keep the £1100 handy just in case

Ancient Valliant still chugging away quite happily despite being written off this time last year. However, the pilot light has started playing up again so thought better get it serviced and have a bit of compressed air blown round it's bits.

Couldn't get hold of old plumber so just had someone out who has tried to convince me that it's being blown out by the wind. Reasonable enough explanation on the face of it apart from the fact that it has happened once or twice when it's not windy...! I'm still stifling the urge to burst out laughing.

Just been charged 95 quid plus vat for about 10 mins of actual poking around and a good 30 of tea drinking and debating the HIPs issue. I feel bemused rather than ripped off which I'm not sure is the correct emotion.

When asked about a new one, quoted 2600 for a std boiler (24kw?) and told that any of the Italian makes were best which I'm pretty sure contradicts most of the advice on here. Apparently new Valliants and Worcesters are crap, why do I get the feeling that I've been had? :rolleyes:

Any ideas how I got about finding someone West London/Middlesex who is willing and able to poke around in my beloved old dear? Is there a Vaillant spotters club that I can call??? :D

Mags

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back