Replaced Copper Cylinder - Don't Taps on pipes ever work!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just don't my first replacement of a Central Heating Copper Cylinder. One thing I've learned is that all these stop cocks on pipes do NOT stop water flow 100%, they must dribble!!!! Turned off the main cold feed, but little drips still dropped in to main header tank in loft.. ending up strapping up ball cock too!

Then I have a stop cock on the pipe that feeds the copper cylinder, with this turned fully off, I cut the pipe (after draining cylinder!!) and still there's water dripping.

So I've now learned that even when you think you have turned off the water, be prepared for water to trickle/drip continuously!!!!

Used some compression connectors because that's what the PlumbWorld man sold me, these I do not like, I'm guessing they work well on a perfect round tube, but I never know how much to tighten. Did have a go at soldering some other straight connectors, they worked a treat.

As for you guys on bending pipe, I bought a spring, inserted, tried to bend, sad to say Im obviously not strong enough, couldn't bend it using my knee. Then when I managed to bend, it kinked the tube, and I then couldn't get the dam spring out!!!

Moment of truth tomorrow, gonna turn on supply and wait for the leaks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Place your bets for gate valves.....
When bending copper, be aware that it 'work hardens' so you need to do the bend in one go. If it toughens, then it has to be heated to red heat (sometimes difficult to tell with a red metal) then quenched in cold water.
Cant stand those bending springs myself!
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back