Replaced radiator and boiler doesn't fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I use this forum a lot for advice but never posted. Hopefully somebody can give me some advice on what I may have done wrong.

I have an Ideal Isar HE24 boiler. Tonight I replaced a radiator, and I replaced the lockshield valve as it was dripping. To do this I had to turn the water off and drain the system, I did this through the pipe up to the radiator if that makes a difference.

When I then fitted the radiator and tightened it up I turned the water back on and heard it going into the radiator, I had no leaks so was happy. The next bit is where I think I may have caused a problem.

The next thing I did was turn the boiler on. I did this before adding water to the system to pressurise it which I think is a mistake, and the boiler now does not work.

When I turn the boiler on I just hear a click but it doesn't fire up, neither does the pump work, nothing happens.

This randomly happened one before without warning and through this forum I found it could be the PCB. I replaced the PCB and it worked. Could what I have done caused the PCB to blow again?

If you need any more info then let me know, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi prentice boy,

Yes, I have filled the system, bled the air, and repeated so the pressure sits at 1 which is always high enough for the boiler to fire up.

I was hoping that would make it work but it still just clicks when I turn the power on with no other noise, it doesn't try to fire up.

I also need to mention the display broke a while ago so I can't see any lights on there.

Sponsored Links
Yes I held that for 10 seconds.

After that didn't work I turned the mains electrics off and on at the fuse box just in case the reset butting didn't work and still nothing.

As the display screen does not work, difficult to access situation. As now some fault finding and testing is required.

Ok no problem.

From what I have done, ie fired the boiler up without pressurising the system, what are the options of what's gone wrong? Could it be the PCB? Is it worth me getting a second hand one and selling it again if it isn't that? Could it be anything else?

Thanks for your help

It might just need a reset because you overheated it by firing with no water in the system. Not sure if you can reset though with a non-working display as the reset is sent through the display board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back