Replacement alarm control panel.

Sorry Sparkymarka but I think JohnD is right. Any half-decent battery charging circuit should charged the battery at constant current until the battery approaches full capacity and then change to constant voltage. The amount of current supplied in the first phase depends on the size of the battery. This means that a much bigger battery may never reach the changeover point and may be float charged at too high a voltage.

This shouldn't be too much of a problem if the new bettery is a size bigger but I wouldn't want to replace a 2.1 AHr with a 17AHr!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
two things, as said he wont be able to fit a battery bigger than a 7.0ah in the panel so he is talking rubbish for a start, making a comment that will only confuse the op, and its a optima not a logic 4

Replaced battery but system still playing up.
When I set alarm and omit certain zones they do not show up on control panel.
All PIR light up when walking past but at least one does not set off alarm when I test it.
Is this just confirming that I need a new control panel or is it some other problem.?

why mess around with a control panel from the late eightys for the sake of £40 for a new one ????? its not done bad for 20+ years

why mess around with a control panel from the late eightys for the sake of £40 for a new one ????? its not done bad for 20+ years

That's a fair point Sparky, its not the money its just the hassle if it transpires that the fault is in some other part of the system,
Thanks for your advice.

I have taken the advice given and I am in the process of fitting the new Veritas 8 control panel.
However I have hit a problem with the wiring instructions.
The existing wiring is 6 core and whilst the diagram for the Veritas shows the red/black to zone 1 white/green to aux and then blue yellow to terminal block.
After that it seems to indicate just blue/yellow to the terminal block and the other 4 cut off.!
Surely the subsequent red/blacks must go to the relevant zone connections?
Apologies if I am missing the bleeding obvious but its beginning to do my head in.
Any advice will be gratefully received

3 pairs one power + and ov tamper pair and alarm pair non powered contacts don't need the + and ov

3 pairs one power + and ov tamper pair and alarm pair non powered contacts don't need the + and ov

Very many thanks for your info Sparky which I am sure answers my question.
Just one problem though what the hell are you talking about, you should remember you are dealing with a guy who doesn't know his tamper from his ov.
Only joking are you saying that all the other cables do not need to be connected?

If it helps the wiring diagram I am referring to is on page 12 of the Veritas installation guide.

I tried to download the page but my system will not accept it.

6 core = 3 pairs

Make up your own colour scheme.

A PiR
1st pair 12v = + & -
2nd pair = closed circuit loop from detector
3rd pair = closed circuit anti-tamper loop

A door contact
1st pair closed circuit loop from contact
2nd pair = closed circuit anti-tamper loop from contact

All on pages 11/12 of the manual.

OK I give up .
Despite the advice some of you kindly gave me and following the instructions in the manual to the letter and also noting were the original panel was wired to I cant get the damm thing to work correctly.
Either the tamper light comes on or the PIRs don't light up, or the external alarm wont switch off .
I don't think Im completely stupid, I mean there are only 4 zones plus the entrance door and the outside bell to wire in from the 6 core cables .
Is there anybody out there who can give me an idiots guide on how to wire it up in plain simple laymans language and to were I am going wrong.

Can you take a clear focussed photo of the wiring at one of your detectors, and of the connections to the main panel and upload them to this thread?

I suspect you are almost there, but must have something not quite right at the moment.

wire zones and tamper and power connections SAME as your old panel you have picture of that just leaving the bell box.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back