Replacement alarm control panel.

Sponsored Links
There are a few inconsistencies here.

On your old panel, I notice the wiring to both zones 1 and 2 are using a red and black pair, but the wiring to zones 3 and 4 are using the green and blue pair.

On your new panel, every zone is wired using the red and black pair. Also you have an extra zone connected to the new panel. Where has that come from?

Lastly, it appears that the connections to your PIR are incorrect.

I think it might be best if you leave the panel end as it is, as it will be quite easy to utilise the way that is connected, and re-terminate probably all of the detectors.

Counting from the left, is there any label / markings under the fifth terminal in your detector?

RF Lighting";p="2780689 said:
There are a few inconsistencies here.

On your old panel, I notice the wiring to both zones 1 and 2 are using a red and black pair, but the wiring to zones 3 and 4 are using the green and blue pair.

On your new panel, every zone is wired using the red and black pair. Also you have an extra zone connected to the new panel. Where has that come from?

I think that is the magnetic door lead and I connected it to a zone as per the instruction manual.
I did intially connect to the new panel as per the original but this contradicted the instructions on the new panel so Ithought it best to go with them.

Lastly, it appears that the connections to your PIR are incorrect.

I think it might be best if you leave the panel end as it is, as it will be quite easy to utilise the way that is connected, and re-terminate probably all of the detectors.
I presume when you say detectors you are referring to the PIRs.
I have not touched these and they were all installed many years ago by an electrician

Counting from the left, is there any label / markings under the fifth terminal in your detector?

The markings on the PIR are TP I dont know if it matters but this was taken from a PIR in the garage which is slightly different in appearance from those inside the house in that it has a easily accessible cover via a screw on the front .
Not to sure how to access those in the house.
Finally many thanks for you patience in helping me

first how many detectors pirs do you have and how many door contacts ?
your pirs are wired as follows tamper pair blue/ yellow..... alarm pair red and black.... power to detectors white + green -

Sponsored Links
first how many detectors pirs do you have and how many door contacts ?
your pirs are wired as follows tamper pair blue/ yellow..... alarm pair red and black.... power to detectors white + green -

I have 4 detectors and 1 door contact.
Are you saying that the detectors are ok? if so isnt it just a case of saying red/ black to zone 1 , yellow/ white to choc block, etc, etc
Told you I wanted an idiots guide, :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think the OP has wired the system the same as it is in the Texecom book, but his installation uses different colours for the connections than the manual.

Just an update on this in case somebody else has same problem.
As advised I checked the detectors and found that they had been wired up totally different to that shown in the instruction manual.
Reconfigured and now all detectors light up and control panel shows everything ok
Just got to connect strobe, sounder, etc and fingers crossed that should be it.
One point though why did the original leccy use a different colour system,?

As advised I checked the detectors and found that they had been wired up totally different to that shown in the instruction manual.
Reconfigured and now all detectors light up and control panel shows everything ok
No they hadn't, they were wired correctly, the colour usage was different that's all.

There is NO colour standard. Each to his own. Didn't I suggest something like that previously?

No they hadn't, they were wired correctly, the colour usage was different that's all.

There is NO colour standard. Each to his own. Didn't I suggest something like that previously?

Yes you did and thank you , but how is somebody to know if they have to upgrade the system if there is no standard colour.
Clearly I am no expert but it seems a daft to me.

Yes you did and thank you , but how is somebody to know if they have to upgrade the system if there is no standard colour.
It has to do with the word security, think about it. What if every alarm system in the country was wired utilising the same colours. How secure would that be?

It would not be very long before every alarm was compromised would it?

It has to do with the word security, think about it. What if every alarm system in the country was wired utilising the same colours. How secure would that be?

It would not be very long before every alarm was compromised would it?

Again excuse my ignorance but isn't that why the systems have a tamper factor in them.
If they, the tea leaves, are in a position to mess about with the wiring isn't that a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. !

But the tea leaves might come into your house first, pretending to "read the meter" or "check the gas" and one of them might start chopping your wires so that they could come back tomorrow when you're out. It's always good to leave them guessing "cut the red, cut the blue, cut the red, cut the blue,..."

Also, to be honest, it is fairly obvious (to the trade) which colour goes where when you look in the panel so an upgrade shouldn't be too hard if you know what the wires do. It's a bit like looking at different maps where some have A roads in red and some have them in green...

Here I am again, :oops: :oops: :oops:
Everything connected up, zone and detectors working fine except the external sounder.
Well thats not strictly correct, when I connect power to the panel I cant switch off the damm thing.
I suspect that as per the detectors the colour of the wiring is different to that in the instructions.
Is there some way I can overcome this problem, please?
I have had the cover off the box outside but the only thing I can see is a choc block with 6 wires in the order of ,blue, green, black, red, white, yellow.
I cant access any further in the box as it is in a very awkward position.

looking at picture of old panel you had red connected to +12v ( A +12v new panel) black bell trip ( B bell new panel ) strobe- green ( S strobe new panel) put the blue in with the red +12v. make sure your 0v and tamper are linked out on new panel as they where on your old panel.

looking at picture of old panel you had red connected to +12v ( A +12v new panel) black bell trip ( B bell new panel ) strobe- green ( S strobe new panel) put the blue in with the red +12v. make sure your 0v and tamper are linked out on new panel as they where on your old panel.

Many thanks Sparky, I will do as you say tomorrow, I've got to be honest though, despite all the sound advice I have been given I suspect that I will probably have to call somebody in to sort it out.
Its just shear bloody mindness that I haven't given up yet. :confused: :confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back