Replacement Electric shower switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to replace an old electric shower pull cord switch (first Pic). I purchased a new switch and the terminals are not in the same position. Old switch both N are on the left side and L on right side. The new switch has the N on the bottom and L on the top (second Pic). I basically turned the new switch when wiring 90 degrees to match old wiring. When I turned on the mains the shower just automatically runs (before it didn't start until you press the button on the actual shower).

So, I swapped over the two N wires to see if that made a difference which is didn't (The shower still ran automatically). I swapped the wires back and tried reversing the L but still same problem?

I cannot figure out what the problem is as I think I have tried every combination? Any advice please?
:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Does your new switch have a neon lamp? You MUST fit the incoming cable to the terminals marked IN or SUPPLY and the cable to the shower to terminals marked OUT or LOAD. This should not affect the button on the shower.

Yes the new switch has a neon lamp, but doesn't say which side is mains or supply etc. also I have no idea which are the mains and which are outlet in the ceiling?

If the pull cord has a neon connected, the neon lamp will be connected across the live out/load and the neutral out/load, so the process of elimination would mean that the live in/supply and the neutral in/supply are the two that do not have the neon across it. So providing you know which pair of cables are in and out then it should not be difficult, if you do not know which cable is in/out then you require a two pole voltage indicator to identify this. If you don't have one then your playing a very dangerous game if you cannot prove the circuit is safely isolated and dead before you worked on it!
I would also check that the shower is also actually switch off at the local controls.
Looking at you pictures above, if you are getting that much debris through the cable entry hole in the ceiling, I would recommend that you seal the hole up as it can cause the switch to jam, a bit of silicon won't go amiss!

Sponsored Links
If the pull cord has a neon connected, the neon lamp will be connected across the live out/load and the neutral out/load, so the process of elimination would mean that the live in/supply and the neutral in/supply are the two that do not have the neon across it. So providing you know which pair of cables are in and out then it should not be difficult, if you do not know which cable is in/out then you require a two pole voltage indicator to identify this. If you don't have one then your playing a very dangerous game if you cannot prove the circuit is safely isolated and dead before you worked on it!
I would also check that the shower is also actually switch off at the local controls.
Looking at you pictures above, if you are getting that much debris through the cable entry hole in the ceiling, I would recommend that you seal the hole up as it can cause the switch to jam, a bit of silicon won't go amiss!

The shower is off at the unit (in the bath) but automatically starts when I turn the mains/ pull switch on (it never used to do that). I turn all electric off at the mains (for the whole house) before carrying out any work. Sadly I do not have the electrical two pole voltage indicator but wouldnt want to be messing about with that with the electric on :oops: I will go in the loft tomorrow and see if I can identify which wires are mains and which are to shower :confused:

When I turned on the mains the shower just automatically runs (before it didn't start until you press the button on the actual shower).

So, I swapped over the two N wires to see if that made a difference which is didn't (The shower still ran automatically). I swapped the wires back and tried reversing the L but still same problem?
These are the 6 things you can do at the switch.
  1. Wire it correctly so that it switches the supply to the shower on and off.
  2. Wire it incorrectly so that it still switches the supply to the shower on and off but the neon is on all the time.
  3. Wire it incorrectly so that it does not switch the supply to the shower on and off, and the shower is always receiving power.
  4. Wire it incorrectly so that it does not switch the supply to the shower on and off, and the shower never receives power.
  5. Wire it incorrectly so that the RCD trips.
  6. Wire it incorrectly so that there's a *&^%£$"#@ great bang when you turn it on which destroys the switch and trips the circuit breaker.
Not one of those can possibly cause the shower, when powered, to start up without its own controls being used if previously it didn't work like that.

The shower is off at the unit (in the bath) but automatically starts when I turn the mains/ pull switch on (it never used to do that).
It shouldn't, so that would suggest you are wiring up very wrongly or the switch is faulty
I turn all electric off at the mains (for the whole house) before carrying out any work.
That makes no odds, if you cannot prove that isolation has taken place
Sadly I do not have the electrical two pole voltage indicator but wouldnt want to be messing about with that with the electric on :oops:
Well you need to get one, first thing you should purchase if you are attempting any electrical work or things can get messy
I will go in the loft tomorrow and see if I can identify which wires are mains and which are to shower :confused:
Go to shops first and buy a two pole voltage indicator!

leopard-print-catsuit.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back