Replacement light switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have successfully replaced many light switches in my time but I've just had a senior moment with my latest replacement and left myself befuddled o_O

I wasn't paying enough attention to the old switch and started swapping over wires to the same marked terminals on the new switch. It was then that I realised that the old switch had differently marked terminals than I'm used to. It had no terminal marked 'com', just L1 and L2 (two of each). By then it was too late and I have forgotten which cable went where.

So, I have taken some photos in the hope that some of you kind souls take pity on me and work out what goes where.

The light in question is 2 way, controlled by 2 switches.

Here's the wires I need to connect:

IMG_20160916_103023.jpg

Here's my new switch:

IMG_20160916_103012.jpg

Any help very much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
The first question is where is the earth wire? Because if you don't have one you can't use that switch.

From your description you old switch was an intermediate type. You need to replace like with like, but not a metal one if there is no earth.

Ah you are right. I haven't encountered an intermediate one before!
The earth cable is there, just not in shot.

Are you able to tell me how to wire up my old socket again instead as I don't have time to go and get an intermediate switch right now and have party tonight!
Here's the old switch:

IMG_20160916_120144.jpg

It's difficult because you've effectively shown us 4 wires which are all identified as live conductors! If you're sure there are only two switches, and the old was intermediate switch with one wire in each terminal, then one of those wires is redundant.
The good news is you can just put any 3 of those wires in any position, and keep trying until it works in both settings of the other switch without damaging anything.
The bad news is there are a lot of combinations to get through before your party! If you have a multimeter and long leads you could work it out a lot quicker.
Don't forget the earth.

Sponsored Links
I'm being really stupid.........
There's 3 switches for this light.

I have no idea why I thought there were two. I'll just say I've been REALLY busy and am very tired. Sorry.

Thanks for your help John.
I've wired the old switch back up and will buy an intermediate switch :)

It's difficult because you've effectively shown us 4 wires which are all identified as live conductors!
One cable at one end; one at the other is the most important.

Reds on one side; blues on the other - although it would still work if not.

What wouldn't work is reds at one end and blues at the other. :)

True but that was before I knew it was one wire in each terminal (and there were three switches), I wondered if something else was looped through before that!
Anyway glad the OP is sorted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back