replacing a cistern lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We are just about to move house and I managed to knock a bottle of aftershave onto the cistern lid smashing a corner off (at that point my missus helpfully mentioned how she always thought that might happen!).

Getting a replacement lid seems to be expensive and difficult so my question is, if I buy a cheapo toilet from B&Q, screwfix etc can I just fit the cistern from that to the bowl I have plumbed in.

i.e. is there a generic fitting or are bowls specific the the cistern?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need to look at the means by which the cistern is held to the pan...the 'close couple', if you will.
If yours has the steel bracket type of coupling (i.e no bolts visible from the inside of the cistern) then you are in with a chance. Of course there's the depth of the cistern to consider - the distance from the wall to the coupling.
If yours has the internal bolts then you need a cistern with the same hole pitch as the original.
John :)

Getting a replacement lid seems to be expensive and difficult so my question is, if I buy a cheapo toilet from B&Q, screwfix etc can I just fit the cistern from that to the bowl I have plumbed in.

With close coupled WC's the cisterns are not generic, they are made to match the pan. Depending on the make and age of your WC it might be possible that the suite is still available so then you could do as you have suggested by buying the same suite.

As Burnerman has indicated there are a lot of variables, so you would need loads of luck to find a cheap one that just happened to fit - it's possible but check carefully first if you can!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back