Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I currently have installed a Danfoss FP715Si (TP9000) 2-channel CH/HW programmer, but the factory-set clock is entirely wrong and it is just getting old. So it is time to replace it with something more modern. Ideally, I would like to be able to replace it with something that can reuse the existing wiring and backplate to save having to install a new backplate and rewire it. So, my first question is are there any new models that would fit the existing back plate and wiring configuration? I believe the wiring configuration is:

1669449702992.png

This is a picture of my actual backplate and existing wiring configuration.

IMG_20221126_081101.jpg

Earth, neutral and live is fairly self-explanatory. Am I correct in thinking that the following applies?

3. HW off
4. CH off
5. HW on
6. CH on

If not what would be correct?

If there are no 2-channel CH/HW programmers/controllers that would fit the existing backplate, are there any new controllers where the backplate can be replaced and the existing wiring could simply be rewired (copied) over to on a like-for-like basis?

Some models that are well-reviewed on Amazon and have caught my eye are:

- Horstmann H27XL Programmer
1669451797762.png

- HONEYWELL ST9400C 7 DAY HEATING PROGRAMMER
1669451884018.png

- Drayton 25473 LP112 (Mk4) 2 Channel Programmer
1669451935734.png

- Drayton 123070 LP522 (Mk4) 2 Channel Programmer

1669451985439.png

Some questions for your expertise please:

Are any of these suitable replacements?
If more than one is a suitable replacement, which would you recommend?
Could any of them use the existing backplate and wiring configuration?
Could any of them have the backplate replaced and use the existing wiring configuration?

I apologise that this has turned into a bit of an essay, but any expert help you could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Yours has a remote sensor, which is likely to be the thermostat. Unless you go like for like, then a wiring configuration is likely.

I would think the Hive or Drayton Wiser system would likely suit, both use same back plates, but the big question is what voltage is now used?

Your plan shows the line to power the unit linked to the line to power central heating, but the picture shows volt free set up, any linking is done with link wires not inside the unit. So if your boiler/motorised valve what ever the existing one feeds is 24 volt then the Hive/Wiser back plate can only be used with the one channel version, and it seems you want two channels.

If however as likely it switches 230 volt, then you can fit a system which can link to TRV's in the future allowing you to control each room independently.

Although your likely not considering swapping all TRV heads to linked heads now, before selecting a replacement you need to consider what you may want to do in the future.

I got it wrong, so trying to stop you making same mistake, I selected Energenie as was told they worked with Nest, but that is not the case. There is a guide here which also says Energenie works with Nest, seems they did until Google took them over.

It seems the Drayton Wiser TRV head is about the best, with algorithms to work out how long it takes to heat a room without over shooting, and the base has the option to work with OpenTherm with an add on module. Since I use oil OpenTherm does not interest me.

But the Hive is much simpler and cheaper, no option for Opentherm, and no cleaver algorithms, and the base stops taking a demand for heat after 22ºC so the base unit really designed to be in a room normally kept cool, like the hall.

The likes of Honeywell Evohome
EVO-home1.jpg
allow control of each room without the need of a mobile phone, but now is the time to think about future plans, even if not expanded on for another 5 years.

Hi all,

I currently have installed a Danfoss FP715Si (TP9000) 2-channel CH/HW programmer, but the factory-set clock is entirely wrong and it is just getting old.
The clock can be set. Do you have the manual. Maybe a backup battery needs replacing as well.
So it is time to replace it with something more modern. Ideally, I would like to be able to replace it with something that can reuse the existing wiring and backplate to save having to install a new backplate and rewire it. So, my first question is are there any new models that would fit the existing back plate and wiring configuration? I believe the wiring configuration is:

View attachment 286825

This is a picture of my actual backplate and existing wiring configuration.

View attachment 286826

Earth, neutral and live is fairly self-explanatory. Am I correct in thinking that the following applies?

3. HW off
4. CH off
5. HW on
6. CH on

If not what would be correct?
Well what you believe the configuration is with a 6 terminal backplate is not the same as your photo with a 9 terminal backplate.
If there are no 2-channel CH/HW programmers/controllers that would fit the existing backplate, are there any new controllers where the backplate can be replaced and the existing wiring could simply be rewired (copied) over to on a like-for-like basis?

Some models that are well-reviewed on Amazon and have caught my eye are:

- Horstmann H27XL Programmer
View attachment 286827
- HONEYWELL ST9400C 7 DAY HEATING PROGRAMMER
View attachment 286828
- Drayton 25473 LP112 (Mk4) 2 Channel Programmer
View attachment 286829
- Drayton 123070 LP522 (Mk4) 2 Channel Programmer

View attachment 286830

Some questions for your expertise please:

Are any of these suitable replacements?
If more than one is a suitable replacement, which would you recommend?
Could any of them use the existing backplate and wiring configuration?
Could any of them have the backplate replaced and use the existing wiring configuration?

I apologise that this has turned into a bit of an essay, but any expert help you could pass on to me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark
I expect most of those could be used with appropriate backplate and rewiring.

Sponsored Links
Hi Winston,

Thanks for your considered responses. I have the manual but when I follow the instructions to reset the date and time, it just doesn't work! So, I have just come to the conclusion that updating it makes sense.

The backplate that is there is just what has been installed by the original installer.

I guess I will just plump for the 2 channel controller that I like best and hire a sparky to install it (I know my limitations).

Cheers,

Mark

FFS, how about constructive advise instead of constant lies and criticism.

FFS, how about constructive advise instead of constant lies and criticism.
Yes, my post
for instance, with the ACTUAL wiring connections? Tell me how that isn't constructive???

Your constructive adviCe (mind the spelling. One is a verb, one is a noun)
might be to tell him how he connects the sensor connections to the Drayton LP522 programmer. (Hint: there's probably a TS2 sensor lurking somewhere.....on the end of the brown and black conductors on 5&6. I wonder what that's for.........hee hee

And you could explain why the DHW on (3) is connected to earth, or is it...?

Take your time, you did say that you "expect that it can be used with appropriate backplate and rewiring"

I'll look out for YOUR constructive advice. Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
Yours has a remote sensor, which is likely to be the thermostat. Unless you go like for like, then a wiring configuration is likely.
Hi,

Yes, there is a Danfoss thermostat in the ground-floor hallway (possibly the coldest place in the house as it has 3 storeys).

1669614594238.jpeg

So, from what I am gathering, I can buy pretty much buy any 2-channel CH/HW controller, but need to get a good sparky in to do the necessary wiring and installation. Can I confirm if you all agree that this is correct and a sensible approach?

I was hoping to be able to do this myself, as I like to learn new skills, but it sounds like this would be a step outside my comfort zone :)

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
So, from what I am gathering, I can buy pretty much buy any 2-channel CH/HW controller, but need to get a good sparky in to do the necessary wiring and installation. Can I confirm if you all agree that this is correct and a sensible approach?
on the contrary. As I have tried to point out, many of the standard 2-channel controllers do NOT provide the ability to connect the additional sensor. At least not out of the box.
Probably it would need connecting to the wiring centre, not to the controller as you have with the TP9000.
My advice: Find an electrician who enjoys heating controls and let him/her select the product that will do the job. Otherwise you’ll buy the wrong thing and waste your money.

EDIT. why don’t you just buy a new TP9000 and pop it on the existing backplate? Problem solved!

Make sure you get the correct model/version. I bet there’s more than one.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back