Replacing a light switch dimmer module

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 3 button light switch in my kitchen. 2 of the switchers are dimmers controlling ceiling LED spots, and the other is just an on/off switch for under cabinet lights.

One of the dimmer switches is broken (it will only turn on if you press really hard and ping it out a couple of times). Looking inside, the dimmer switches are BG DM400AP modules ( https://www.arrowelectricals.co.uk/...-1-gang-leading-edge-push-on-off-switch-p3731 ).

Is replacing one of these dimmer modules straightforward, and am I (not a qualified eletrician) allowed to change it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Usually easy to do and yes you are allowed.
They are good dimmers i have them myself and work well with led.
Ensure the power is off and note what wires and colours go where before taking off, even on the other two switches, take pictures if possible, being a 3 gang there will be a lot of wires so if wary dont try.
There may be numerous wires of the same colour, but each has different purpose, so important you mark whats what.
Likely only two terminals on use on the dimmer your changing
You will likely need 4mm screwdriver for the plate and a 3mm for the Terminals, plus a pair of pliers

Isolate power, remove plate from wall.
Pull the knob off,
To release the dimmer you need to turn the metal ring, without the tool, carefully use a pair of pliars, but try not to scratch the surface of the plate.
A good tip is mask up the plate with tape around the nut bit so if you slip you dont damage the finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back