Replacing a Powermax boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nickso, I don't deny you may be knowledgeable on the boiler, recommending a replacement without seeing it and assuming it cannot be replaced by a text description means you are being hasting. All I am saying is it is possible it could be mended, how would you know for sure it must be replaced ???

Sponsored Links
'Hasty' even, Anyway the owner doesn't seem too worried now, so perhaps the issue is resolved, let's forget it.

Cheers,

'Hasty' even, Anyway the owner doesn't seem too worried now, so perhaps the issue is resolved, let's forget it.

Cheers,

They will rip you off in an instant, and install a brand new boiler (if they turn up that is) and make a killing when its highly likely the boiler can be repaired for a small fee !!!!!!!!

Forget it eh, yeah right, tozzer :LOL: :LOL:

Nickso, I don't deny you may be knowledgeable on the boiler

really? you still dont seem to be too sure.

recommending a replacement without seeing it and assuming it cannot be replaced by a text description means you are being hasting

if it is gone on the boss then its scrap, simple.

All I am saying is it is possible it could be mended, how would you know for sure it must be replaced ???

see above. you implied that our advice was bad and that the boiler could be repaired no matter what. now you say possibly?

i dont see what difficulty you have with this. from the information we have its got a combustion or water leak possibly from the area around the boss. you want to weld that which would be a non standard repair and as such would be classed as at risk. we wont even mention the feasibilty of that repair holding for any length of time. lets keep it simple shall we.

if its on the boss that holds the burner/electrode on then forget it, its gubbed.

fact

anyone who attempts a repair on that is not only asking for a lot of trouble but is also leaving the boiler classed as at risk the minute they do it as ill guarantee the manufacturer wont sanction such a repair.

fact

its a hideous, noisy turd that needs binning now.

fact

if the OP leaves any information maybe the situation will change. the issue is only resolved if the OP has got a new boiler or its not the fault we think it is. forget it if you want.

Sponsored Links
Not repairing a boiler because it is 17 years old is not grounds for a replacement, and recommending boiler replacements without a full diagnosis is jumping the gun slightly.

FACT

Simond must be another person who likes to replace boilers regardless then.

Easy money....

Simond must be another person who likes to replace boilers regardless then.
simond is actually a knowledgable and pragmatic contributor to the forum, whereas you seem to be neither.

Since you claim that replacement is not the better option for the OP, please state what you believe the cost of the remedy to be, and the total cost of ownership of the appliance over the next ten years, which is the information that you must be using in order to recommend repair instead of replacement.

In the information that you provide, please ensure that you itemise the cost of the extra fuel over the next ten years, compared to a new, efficient, condensing boiler, and also the cost of repairs, compared to the installation and maintenance cost of a new appliance. That will make it easier [for all the people to whom you're preaching] to understand that you've taken all of the relevant factors into account.

Softus keep up, I wasn't recommending DEFINITELY repairing the boiler, I was trying to point out that the assumption to replace whole units is made too often without justification, from this thread you cannot guarantee that the item is not repairable.

Plus, who says the owner will be in the house for another 10 years ? It is highly unlikely the cost of installing the new boiler will provide sufficient payback to warrant, unless staying in the house for many years. No one has got any of this type of information from the poster of the problem have they ? Everyone just seems to be telling him to replace it regardless, which is all I have been pointing out.

Thanks,

Softus keep up
That's a bit rich. Answer the questions, then we'll see who's been keeping up.

I wasn't recommending DEFINITELY repairing the boiler, I was trying to point out that the assumption to replace whole units is made too often without justification
It doesn't really matter whether or not you consider it too often - you lost all credibility when you began firing off such phrases as "rip off merchants".

from this thread you cannot guarantee that the item is not repairable.
Please show me who said that it isn't repairable.

Plus, who says the owner will be in the house for another 10 years ?
Nobody. Ten years is a reasonable projection of the serviceable life for a new and modern gas appliance. If you don't want to use ten years, then pick any period you like and give your figures for that period.

It is highly unlikely the cost of installing the new boiler will provide sufficient payback to warrant, unless staying in the house for many years.
Please give the proportion of payback that you're building in, and the exact probability you're using to determine whether the person paying for the installation will be staying in the property for long enough.

No one has got any of this type of information from the poster of the problem have they ?
So what are you basing your opinion on then?

Everyone just seems to be telling him to replace it regardless
Please show me who has recommended replacing it without giving any reason.

which is all I have been pointing out.
Pointing out?! To people who already know?!

I don't think you have very much experience of the repair/replace decision process, or of this particular appliance. I think you are a charlatan.

Softus why are you getting so carried away ? You seem more bothered than the boiler owner !!!

Just move on to a new topic, and then you won't see the need to keep hijacking this thread will you.

Cheers,

Not repairing a boiler because it is 17 years old is not grounds for a replacement, and recommending boiler replacements without a full diagnosis is jumping the gun slightly.

FACT

i see you have chosen no to forget it. :rolleyes:

as i doubt we will hear from the OP again we still only have the information that he left in his first few posts. i gave a diagnosis based on that information.

this still leads me to believe the fault lies on or around the boss that holds the burner electrode onto the cylinder. recommending that this can be repaired is incorrect, you are incorrect.

i didnt say it should be replaced because it was 17 years old, i said it should be replaced because of the fault i believe it has (and because its a noisy turd) if the OP provides info that means it can be repaired safely then thats ok by me, its not me that has to live with it.

Nickso, yes thats fine, you provided advice based on the initial information provided. Its a shame the poster hasn't given anmore feedback, anyway I'm sure he's decided what action to take now.

Well done on all the good advice everyone, hopefully sufficient help has been provided.

Nickso, yes thats fine, you provided advice based on the initial information provided. Its a shame the poster hasn't given anmore feedback, anyway I'm sure he's decided what action to take now.

as long as its not the poor advice you gave then he might be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back