Replacing a Powermax boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Powermax 135 gas boiler has recently sprung a small, but apparently deadly leak. An engineer came out and said that a welding joint had gone and that the system would have to be replaced. Maybe not so surprising since it's 17 years old now, and though it's been serviced semi-regularly that's getting on a bit. It's a small leak, the effects of which are being contained and is obviously worse when the boiiler is on and at pressure.

An engineer (from the same place) came round and said that to replace it would cost £2,700...primarily due to having to change the 15mm pipes to 22mm, then having to put in a new flue, etc as a new boiler would have a different system, etc.

So, first question - are these changes necessary or could a new boiler use the existing fittings?

Secondly, I've found a new Powermax 85HE boiler so could that be fitted in its place? (and hopefully at much less cost).

Thanks for any and all advice,

Alex (Lagan).

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right to me!

You have to fit new flue components with a new boiler!

Tony

I think the older Powermaxes were copper cylinders. Can it be repaired by brazing? I have done this in the past on cylinders. Braze the point of the leak and then put some sheet copper over and brazed around that. Always worked and saved the customer a fortune and all the upheaval. I have also done it by just soldering. Tinned the area on cylinder and tinned the copper sheet that was going to make the patch, and heated it until the solder took and then soldered around the edges of the sheet copper patch. All low pressure cylinders.

I think the older Powermaxes were copper cylinders. Can it be repaired by brazing? I have done this in the past on cylinders. Braze the point of the leak and then put some sheet copper over and brazed around that. Always worked and saved the customer a fortune and all the upheaval. I have also done it by just soldering. Tinned the area on cylinder and tinned the copper sheet that was going to make the patch, and heated it until the solder took and then soldered around the edges of the sheet copper patch. All low pressure cylinders.

Bit of a difference between a cylinder and a powermax, this would be seen as a non appropriate fitting I might suggest??

Sponsored Links
Hi Lagan,
Interesting topic this one, as it sounds like you have a similar problem to what I had.

Where exactly is the leak ??? I suspect it may be possible to fix the leak, but they are saying they can't to make easy money.

If it's a small tee pipe that connects onto the tank with a large bolt, then its a common problem on these boilers, and it can be fixed by removing the bolt head, and replacing the fibre washer !!!!

Please clarify where the leak is present ? And I may be able to help out.

Regards,

Bit of a difference between a cylinder and a powermax, this would be seen as a non appropriate fitting I might suggest??

A patch is not a fitting. The older Powermaxes were thermal stores, which is just a big cylinder with a burner under the cylinder an the flue through the centre. The older IMI Powermaxes were very reliable and if looked after lasted with 1000s of them still about working well. They need enough inhibitor in them and it replaced every 4 years. The new Powermaxes are owned by Potterton and are very different. Only the name survives.

I know that they are thermal stores, but I bet its a leak from a joint, and the engineer whats to make easy money from it.

Loads of people on my estate have these boilers, and many have had this problem I'm describing.

I know that they are thermal stores, but I bet its a leak from a joint, and the engineer whats to make easy money from it.

Loads of people on my estate have these boilers, and many have had this problem I'm describing.

Have any had them ripped out and a boiler, cylinder and tank in the loft by power shower pump fitted by the local cowboy plumbers?

How do they perform? How do most people rate them?

Where exactly is the leak ??? I suspect it may be possible to fix the leak, but they are saying they can't to make easy money.

Hi,

Thanks for all the interest shown. Well, using my non-technical knowledge to explain, heh; there's a removable unit which appears to have the ignition / spark assembly in it, it's the collar that that unit actually slots into that apparently has a crack - at the top.

Not sure if that makes sense - but basically a weld in the collar that sits between the ignition unit and the boiler itself.

Having looked a bit closer, it's an IMI Powermax, if that helps.

What about this possibility of putting another one in instead - would that save all the trouble of having to change flues and pipes, etc?

thanks

Alex.

we replace our IMI powermax 6 weeks ago. i reckon i will save £200 a yr on lower gas bills. we moved the boiler into the attic and so freed space in the bathroom up. we went for a vailant combi which cost £1000. the whole job took 3 days because plumber and me were changing some rads about, had to change the position of soil stack. total cost of the job inc boiler was £2k. but i was working with the plumber for 3 full days.

Hhmmm, that I'd be happier about; £2.7k seemed pretty steep

Sounds Imediately Dangerous and should be rendered unusable labelled and warning notice.

Combi might serve your needs.

Where in the uk?

Hi all,

My Powermax 135 gas boiler has recently sprung a small, but apparently deadly leak. An engineer came out and said that a welding joint had gone and that the system would have to be replaced. Maybe not so surprising since it's 17 years old now, and though it's been serviced semi-regularly that's getting on a bit. It's a small leak, the effects of which are being contained and is obviously worse when the boiiler is on and at pressure.

An engineer (from the same place) came round and said that to replace it would cost £2,700...primarily due to having to change the 15mm pipes to 22mm, then having to put in a new flue, etc as a new boiler would have a different system, etc.

So, first question - are these changes necessary or could a new boiler use the existing fittings?

Secondly, I've found a new Powermax 85HE boiler so could that be fitted in its place? (and hopefully at much less cost).

Thanks for any and all advice,

Alex (Lagan).

The work would almost certainly be necessary, new flue, 22mm ch flow and returns and almost certainly 22mm gas supply(min).

Be wary of opting for a cheaper combi as a replacement option, nothing worse than ending up with half the hot water flow rate you once had after shelling out a load of money. You could fit another powermax, or glow worm do the ultrapower, or some kind of storage combi, like a vaillant 937 or similar. If you go for a boiler with cylinder, go for unvented. Its better to spend 3 or 4k and be happy with the result than spend 2k and be extremely dissapointed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back