Replacing a shower unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to everyone
New to the forum
Hope someone can advise

We have a shower unit which needs replacing The circuit has 10mm cable from a 30 amp MCB with ceiling mounted on / off switch

Question is can the existing shower unit be replaced with a 8.5 KW unit without modifications - no one seems to make 7.5kw showers anymore

Thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
Not being funny, but how much do you know about electricity?

You need to calculate the load and then make sure every aspect of the circuit that is carrying the load is suitable for that load.

Do you know how to convert 8.5kW into Amps?

Non-sarcastic clue: it is more than 30A!

Are you sure it is 10mm2 cable? Is the cpc stranded or solid?

Yes I do know how to calculate amps your sarcastic reply is no help at all!!

Thanks for the warm elcome to the forum!

What I need is advice like can I change the MCB to a 40 Amp to handle the load or do I need to have the complete consumer board changed

Hope someone can advise

fiesata said:
What I need is advice like can I change the MCB to a 40 Amp to handle the load or do I need to have the complete consumer board changed

You can providing:

A) The circuit is suitable for the up-graded breaker, that means cable (in the way its installed) has enough current carrying capacity, and Z's are ok, etc

B) You can obtain a B40 breaker for your CU, are are some obsure/discontinued makes, and even the big names change designs sometimes

C) You notify LABC about the work, as this classed as notifiable work under part p of the building regulations

edit: "up-" inserted before graded (my brain thinks faster than I can type :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
Thanks Adam
This is very useful info
If I did go all the way and have a new consumer unit would this have to be notified (I assume it would) and what is a fair ballpark price for fitting /supplying
Current CU is a Crabtree with 5 MCB's circa early 1980's when house was built

Paul

fiesata said:
Thanks Adam
This is very useful info
If I did go all the way and have a new consumer unit would this have to be notified (I assume it would)
Yes it would

and what is a fair ballpark price for fitting /supplying
Current CU is a Crabtree with 5 MCB's circa early 1980's when house was built

It will vary depending on what needs doing as well (bonding etc), and your area of the country but £350 would be a kind of very rough 'average-y' figure to bear in mind

There are a number of 7.5Kw showers on the market.
Triton and Mira to name 2.

Easier and safer than just upgrading your breaker.
Your cable may be okay, but it will depend on the length of run and also whether any cable factors come into play.

fiesata said:
Yes I do know how to calculate amps your sarcastic reply is no help at all!!

Actually it wasn't intended to be sarcastic at all. Two clues: "Not being funny..." and "Non-sarcastic clue". Further, if I was intending to be sarcastic, I would not have offered help in identifying your cable size.

If you know how to "calculate amps", then you will know that you can't run it on your existing circuit without modification. So why ask the question?

fiesata said:

Why didn't you ask this first of all?

Thanks for the warm elcome to the forum!

Not at all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back