replacing bakelite fuses with mcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the old bakelite wire fuses and I want to put mcb's in, the old one's are 2 pin and the new are 4 how do you get round this or do I need to get someone in to change the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
It is not impossible to do it, but you have obviously got the wrong sort of MCBs that don't fit. Take them back and get a refund if you can

As the CU sounds to be very old, you are likely to have other shortfalls that mean it is ripe for replacemnt. The cost of having it inspected, and the circuits tested, and brought up to scatch, to get the job done properly, means that it is unlikely to be worth it. It is notifiable work that has to be done by a suitably qualified electrician, or inspected and tested by your local authority at additional cost.

The old type of CU is still made, and in a few cases is on quite a modern installation, which may be worth converting to MCBs. If you post a pic of the CU and the wiring around and between them, and tell us the age of your house, we might be able to tell you more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys the unit has 4 fuses in and the guy that had the house before me put an extra unit in for a shower that's been removed but the wiring's still there so I think its time for a new unit

cheers once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back