Replacing ball shutoff valve

b5m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ball type shutoff valve which has broken and needs to be replaced. The valve will not open or close reliably. The pipes leading into the valve are threaded on both sides and galvanised.
The problem is that there are five valves in parallel and I dont know how to remove only the one valve. If I turn the valve with a spanner it will loosen one side and tighten the other. There is a threaded tube above the valve going into a t-piece which will also loosen one side and tighten the other if I turn it.
Do I need to dismantle all five pipes and valves to replace the one? How do I seal everything up again?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Horrible problem. If it helps you can saw/grind through a pipe, unscrew it from both ends and fit screw in ("Male Iron") to copper adaptors for copper pipe. You can also get fittings which go from copper to clamp onto the outside of the galv pipe, but they're bulky.
To fit a union( rotatable flange in the middle) you have to be able to put your own threads on pipes, which is a bit of a pain without good kit.

You can buy "standard length " bits of iron with threads on the end, by the way. Go to bes.ltd.uk and search on "BSP Taper Extended Nipples".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back