Replacing bath - water connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our existing bath is starting to let water come down the edges, and the tiles around the shower are starting to come off so feel it's time to replace it.

Only one local plumber contacted showed any interest in fitting a new one for me but didn't turn up to give me a quote, so think I'm going to have to do it myself.

I helped a relative fit the current one last time and recall having issues with one of the water pipes leaking. I think it was the larger one below which if I recall correctly might be ¾" pipe from when the house had a tank in the loft, and he was trying to fit a 22mm fitting to it.

My question is, what's the best way to connect these water pipes to the new deck mounted shower mixer? I'm concerned by the corrosion on the flexible tail.

1000042749.jpg

1000042752.jpg

1000042751.jpg

Sponsored Links
Isolate that and get it replaced today!! That could burst at any minute, it's a cheapo non stainless steel flexi pipe.

If the current pressure and flow is ok then no reason not to replicate what's already there, just use good quality stainless steel flexi's this time.

Isolate that and get it replaced today!! That could burst at any minute, it's a cheapo non stainless steel flexi pipe.

If the current pressure and flow is ok then no reason not to replicate what's already there, just use good quality stainless steel flexi's this time.
Thanks. I'm going to replace the bath this week. Pressure and flow are really good to be honest.

Any suggestions on what Flexi would fit that 3/4" pipe?

Sponsored Links
Bath tap tail threads are 3/4 BSP.
Any 22 mm compression fitting can be used on 3/4 pipe ,but a 3/4 olive is used instead of the 22mm that comes with the fitting.

Bath tap tail threads are 3/4 BSP.
Any 22 mm compression fitting can be used on 3/4 pipe ,but a 3/4 olive is used instead of the 22mm that comes with the fitting.
Will I be able to undo that connection and retighten it with the new flexi or will the olive need replacing?

I'm going to replace the bath this week
That flexi needs replaced right now, not this week. It might not even last another hour.

If the current flexi fits the pipe then that would be a metric fitting, so would normally be 22mm. How did you get it to fit the last time?

Very good chance that the existing nut and olive will connect to the new Flexi.
A few wraps of PTFE tape around the olive / pipe end could be applied if needs be

That flexi needs replaced right now, not this week. It might not even last another hour.

If the current flexi fits the pipe then that would be a metric fitting, so would normally be 22mm. How did you get it to fit the last time?
Just purchased 15mm to 3/4" stainless flexi. Here's hoping it fits.

It must have been 10-12 years ago it was fitted, and I recall he had a problem getting it to seal. In the end someone he knows that's a plumber came and told him it was imperial. He might have put a 3/4 olive in it, it vaguely rings a bell, and he tightened it up.

At times I wonder why I try anything in this house!

The stopcock is only slightly reducing the water flow coming into the house.

Ah ok, so the pipe isn't 22mm but 15mm, was getting the wrong end of the stick (pipe) there. The tap tail would always be 3/4" and the flexi's are always 3/4" female ends.

You initial post about a 3/4" or22mm pipe kinda confused that.

15mm ? Is it for the other pipe that's not 3/4 ??
Can you turn water off by external stopcock ?
The isolation valve will fit the pipe if the pipe is 15mm or half inch.

Last edited:
Ah ok, so the pipe isn't 22mm but 15mm, was getting the wrong end of the stick (pipe) there. The tap tail would always be 3/4" and the flexi's are always 3/4" female ends.

You initial post about a 3/4" or22mm pipe kinda confused that.
Ok, there are two different sizes here.

The Flexi on the what might be 15mm is the corroded one.
1000042761.jpg

15mm ? Is it for the other pipe that's not 3/4 ??
Can you turn water off by external stopcock ?
The isolation valve will fit the pipe if the pipe is 15mm or half inch.
I have nothing to turn the external stopcock off with. Are they all the same type? I note Toolstation has the keys?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back