Replacing boards under gas meter

Joined
6 Feb 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
2
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter is in a cupboard in the hallway, mounted on a bracket that screws into the floor. The floorboards and supporting joists need to be replaced due to rot/boring insects. Do I need to get an engineer from my supplier/network operator to undo the screws and then reattach the bracket to the new boards once I've changed them, or is this okay to do myself, provided the meter remains supported and isn't actually moved?
 
There's always the risk of disturbing joints which may then leak.
You could just get someone gas safe in to remove the meter and then put it back once you replaced the timber.
They can then do the necessary tests but should also do them before disturbing the pipework, to check if the installation is currently gas tight.
 
I had smart meter fitted not long ago so the current installation has been recently checked. I think I will take your advice though as it will be easier to do the work with the meter out of the way temporarily anyway.
 
I had smart meter fitted not long ago so the current installation has been recently checked. I think I will take your advice though as it will be easier to do the work with the meter out of the way temporarily anyway.

It doesn't matter if it was done recently, any GS engineer (including me) should do a TT before and after work on gas carrying pipes and appliances.
 
My gas meter is in a cupboard in the hallway, mounted on a bracket that screws into the floor. The floorboards and supporting joists need to be replaced due to rot/boring insects. Do I need to get an engineer from my supplier/network operator to undo the screws and then reattach the bracket to the new boards once I've changed them, or is this okay to do myself, provided the meter remains supported and isn't actually moved?
Can you post a picture of it?
 
Can you post a picture of it?

1000062933.jpg
There it is. All the boards you can see will need to come out.
 
Quick update for anyone who might refer to this thread in the future - GS engineers wouldn't touch it, so I have asked the supplier to come and move it, which Octopus do (I think) for free within 1m. They didn't want to temporarily move/disconnect it while I worked though, so I have attached a new board beneath the CU as a new permanent mount.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top