Replacing boiler with an Ideal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Does anyone have any experience of the Ideal Logic Max Heat or the Ideal Logic+ Heat boilers. My plumber says he fits Ideal and needs to be a Heat only one due to less pipe work changes needed ?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, here is some more info.

I currently have a Glow Worm Flexicom 24hx condensing boiler (13 years old) on the ground floor and a water tank and vented expansion tank in the loft.

My home is a detached chalet style bungalow, ground floor and first floor with a small loft area above. It has 4 bedrooms with around 15 radiators and water under floor heating in the lounge. Three showers and no bath. The house was refurbished and new copper pipe heating/hot water system installed around the year 2000.

I’m aiming to have my boiler replaced and water tanks removed.

My plumber has suggest a Heat Only Ideal boiler, which means fewer pipe runs (otherwise he said he may have to remove walls/floors etc). With a Gledhill hot water cylinder and two expansion vessels in the first floor cupboard. Which is all fine, my only concern is there could be a risk of leaks as the pressure in the pipes will be more than they are at the moment.

Is this a very common risk and is there some way I can calculate this.

Also I’m thinking of getting an Ideal boiler with a Kw output of 24 same as existing one

Our current system has a shower pump fitted so all showers can be run at the same time without noticing much difference. Our plumber mentioned that he would remove the shower pump and we might not be able to run two showers at the same time, or if we did we would notice the difference in pressure. Maybe I could ask him to keep the existing shower pump ? Any advice appreciated thank you.

It sounds like you’re having it converted to an unvented setup, so make sure he’s G3 registered. In response to your first post question - what advice are you seeking?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the info. I was just wondering if Ideal boilers were reliable or any other make is better. My plumber said he fits Ideal boilers. I’m also looking at using their Halo WiFi thermostat.

Last edited:
The trouble is with the reliability question - every boiler manufacturer and model, even though they’re the same, once fitted one might be ok, the next not so good, so unfortunately it’s not an easy answer. I personally haven’t dealt with many Ideals, so can’t comment, but everyone has their opinions and favourite boiler make/model.

For example - Honeywell controls and motorised valves were known for reliability, however, they seem to be hit and miss lately.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, someone in another post said there were better makes around with more control. I see what you mean, though. Thanks again.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I like Ideal but like CBW said we all have our own preferences.

Unvented is the way to go if your pressure and flow rates are all good.

Reactions: CBW
I like and fit ideal boilers but I have a Viessmann in my house. I honestly think you can't go too wrong with one of the 4 including Vailant.

More the question is in the fitting and what you future plans are.

Are you likely to fit or have a water softener
Extensions.
More bath/shower rooms.
If its a big bungalow; are the water draw offs close to the hot water cylinder? If not think of a secondary hot water return.

I spend a whole day powerflushing the system.
Replace all radiator valves if needed for more control and a better powerflush.

That the gas supply is adequate

Lots to think about and getting the right man, woman or other to install is most important thing.

Hi. Many thanks for the info. Our house is a chalet bungalow so it has a ground floor and a first floor.

The boiler is on the ground floor, with a hot water cylinder on the first floor and water/expansion tanks in a small loft above the first floor. We have three showers and no bath. Generally only two showers in use.

Our water quality is pretty good so no need for a water softener, I’m in Devon. There’s just myself and my wife with occasional daughters family visiting from London.

Yes I agree getting the right man to do the job. We like our existing plumber so will probably go by his advice and end up with and Ideal boiler that he likes to fit. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back