Replacing CO detector mains-powered with battery-powered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My existing CO detector is beeping, and probably needs to be replaced. It is a Honeywell SF340, which apparently is mains powered. I think one can buy a replacement sensor module, but is more expensive than just buying a new one. A lot of the new ones I can find on amazon are battery-powered.

Novice question: is it okay to just remove the old unit, and let the wires flop inside the wall? And then mount the new battery-powered one?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
My existing CO detector is beeping

Mine was beeping too, so took the batteries out as it was giving me an awful headache and making me feel sick and dizzy :LOL:

[Yes, its a bad joke. I'm not that stupid]

Hi all,
My existing CO detector is beeping, and probably needs to be replaced. It is a Honeywell SF340, which apparently is mains powered. I think one can buy a replacement sensor module, but is more expensive than just buying a new one. A lot of the new ones I can find on amazon are battery-powered.

Novice question: is it okay to just remove the old unit, and let the wires flop inside the wall? And then mount the new battery-powered one?

Thanks!

Are you seriously asking if it's ok to leave live cables in a ceiling?

Is your own property or do you rent?

Like has been said check the back up battery

Sponsored Links
they may have a PP3 battery back up which is likely to bleep when running low, could be just warning you of that. The sealed battery only ones bleep when the life of the unit is up and the unit needs to be replaced, not sure of the life span on the wired unit you have or if they may bleep after the recommended time to change the unit.

Are you seriously asking if it's ok to leave live cables in a ceiling?

Is your own property or do you rent?

Like has been said check the back up battery

Yea, that was one of the main question. Because I really don't know. I guess now I know that's a bad idea! It is my own property.

It's making a double beep, which diagram suggests module needs changing. I was just trying to find the cheapest way to replace it, because the replacement module costs £40+ with delivery. But a brand new different, battery-powered unit is far cheaper; and this is the main reason for asking.

My next question is, if I want to use a battery powered unit, what do I do with the existing wires?

Have you checked any information regarding this alarm, as in are you 100% it’s a battery issue and not a genuine Carbon Monoxide activation? What fuel burning appliances do you have?

If it’s to be replaced, why not just get a like for like if it’s possible and install on existing backplate?

The one from bes is £40 delivered. It's a drop in replacement module, so just go for that.

Have you checked any information regarding this alarm, as in are you 100% it’s a battery issue and not a genuine Carbon Monoxide activation? What fuel burning appliances do you have?
If it's just doing 'double beeps' (rather than 'making a hell of a noise'), I wouldn't think it would be due to true CO activation, would it?

Kind Regards, John

If it's just doing 'double beeps' (rather than 'making a hell of a noise'), I wouldn't think it would be due to true CO activation, would it?

Kind Regards, John

Not entirely sure John, as the ones we have (Aico/Ei) when I turn up to check the appliances, they’ve usually been reset or just flashing red several times (I think it’s 8 per second). However, I remember on the old battery Honeywell one’s we had, there were different chirps/beeps for different situations.

Not entirely sure John, as the ones we have (Aico/Ei) when I turn up to check the appliances, they’ve usually been reset or just flashing red several times (I think it’s 8 per second). However, I remember on the old battery Honeywell one’s we had, there were different chirps/beeps for different situations.
Indeed, but I would have thought (hoped) that if it was signalling a true activation, it would leave one's ears in little doubt that there was a genuine problem. However, like you, I can't be entirely sure.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
My next question is, if I want to use a battery powered unit, what do I do with the existing wires?

That depends on how it is wired, does it have it's own circuit in the consumer unit , has it had a feed taken off the lighting circuit , do you have more than one co detector that is mains powered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back