Replacing Drayton LP822 with Hive

You’ve got an extra wire with the white from the motorised valve. Where the brown going to.
That brown, goes with the grey, blue and earth into conduit that goes down through the floor beneath the hot water cylinder and appears to be the same cable that comes out next to the inline valve downstairs, which is connected together in that junction box.

Sponsored Links
as soon as you turn on the isolator switch to the programmer, it runs the CH full blast. I suspected the thermostat downstairs to be faulty as you cannot hear any click when you turn the dial.
Yet in your pic the mid position valve is operating HW only so the CH is not on

2 zone valves. Is one of the valves stuck on the b position. That can trigger a call for heat from your boiler.

Sponsored Links
Yet in your pic the mid position valve is operating HW only so the CH is not on
Sorry if I didn't explain clearly. If the old programmer was during a time period when CH wasn't required then it wouldn't fire up the boiler. When it came time for CH on the programmer then it fired up the boiler and wouldn't turn CH off again unless I manually turned it off at the isolator.

2 zone valves. Is one of the valves stuck on the b position. That can trigger a call for heat from your boiler.
Just checked the valve downstairs and it functions the same as the one upstairs.

If I trigger the CH on then both motorised valves move and click into place.

If I turn the CH off with Hive or with old programmers both valves stay in the open position and only return to closed by turning the power off at the isolator by the programmer.

Usually only 3 wires on the orange too. Heating engineer required
Ok, I don't follow what the orange is.

I was an auto electrician by trade many years ago, but pretty clueless about domestic heating stuff myself. Learning as I go but if it's time to call in a pro then I'll have to find someone as we are new to the area.

Orange is the switch live to the boiler. something must be calling for heat,

Ya need to see what voltage is going to the white wire.

Are you saying you have a 3 port mid position valve AND a 2 port zone valve ?? that is what your pics suggest, you cant have that they will conflict with each other

Ya need to see what voltage is going to the white wire.
So, multimeter is out.

On that terminal, yellow on top, white and brown on the bottom.

No voltage when I turn the isolator on. Turn the CH on and it turns live, 240V.
Turn the CH off and it remains at 240V until I turn the isolator off.

Disconnect the white and brown out of that terminal and the yellow by itself is only live when CH is turned on. Turn the CH off and the yellow goes back to 0V.

That must indicate that one of the 2 valves has a switch stuck on, is that right?

Anything else that I can test?

Are you saying you have a 3 port mid position valve AND a 2 port zone valve ?? that is what your pics suggest, you cant have that they will conflict with each other
Yes, the 3 port valve is next to the HW cylinder and looks like it's been there a while.
The 2 port valve is downstairs next to the boiler.
It is a much more recent addition. Looks like it was added when the garage was converted and a radiator was added there.
Could I bypass the 2 port valve added just for the garage conversion radiator?

Yes, here's a picture. Definitely just for the radiator in the garage conversion which we don't use anyway.
IMG_20221021_203920.jpg

I notice that my back plate has wiring to the Neutral, Live, Hot Water off NC, (nothing connected to heating off NC), then connections to hot water on (NO) and Heating on (NO).
That’s just means it’s a Y-plan setup and it’s fine.

That is your problem you can not have that setup, you will need to remove the mid position valve and replace it with 2 x 2 port zone valves so you will have 3 x 2 port valves in total called an S plan + system and wired accordingly

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back