Replacing electric hob with a gas one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my cooker's electric hob with a gas one. I also have a twin electric oven underneath. There is one main cooker switch on the wall and it seems to power off both the ovens and hob when switched. All of this appears to be connected to a 30amp fuse in the main board.

I assume my new gas hob will need an electrical supply; I presume this is for the ignition button. :confused: What I want to know is, what should the hob be connected to and, with what type of cable?

I will be getting a Corgi registered gas-fitter in to connect the hob to the gas supply; would I be correct in saying that he should also know how to connect the electrics?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume my new gas hob will need an electrical supply; I presume this is for the ignition button. :confused:
Yes.

What I want to know is, what should the hob be connected to and, with what type of cable?
Check the instructions for the hob, but it'll probably want a supply fused at 3A, and will only be designed to take a small-ish cable. The easiest thing would be to take the cable currently supplying the electric hob to an FCU with a 3A fuse and supply the hob from that.

I will be getting a Corgi registered gas-fitter in to connect the hob to the gas supply;
It's Gas Safe now. Not being pedantic, but of you find someone flashing a Corgi card you've found someone who isn't actually registered.

would I be correct in saying that he should also know how to connect the electrics?
Many registered gas fitters are also registered to do electrical work - check with them.

Most gas hobs come with pre-installed cable with a plug on the and, so you will only need a socket in the area.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back