Replacing exterior light with one that has motion sensor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment we have a light outside our front door that is controlled by a on/off switch on the inside of the door in the hall.

Photo 09-09-2015 12 47 27 pm.jpg

What we want is a light that will come on when you stand at the door - enough for you to get your keys out of your bag, see where the lock is on the door etc during winter time.

We are asking about the lights that come with the PIR as part of the unit & not just fitting a PIR to this unit.

Is it as simple as taking this one off & then connecting the wires up to the new one, or would the new one require additional wiring due to the PIR?

An example of something we would be looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Byron-4-Pan...6&sr=8-3&keywords=motion+sensor+outside+light

Like i said, that;s only an example - a light with PIR. We aren't necessarily looking at that specific model.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The wiring to the new unit remains the same - but of course the internal hall switch needs to remain on for the lamp to be active.
John :)

Would this then make it all a little pointless?

As if the internal hall switch is on - the light would surely be on at all times (as would currently be the case)?

This is maybe where my lack of knowledge exposes me :)

As if the internal hall switch is on - the light would surely be on at all times (as would currently be the case)?

No, you are missing the point.

The old light is just a light.

The new one has a PIR. This stops the light working in daylight. At night-time it will detect movement and light up the bulb.
The PIR needs to have power so that it works.

The new lamp will have the same connections as the old one. Line, neutral and earth.
Connect it up and read the instructions. The switch will need to be ON for it to work.

Sponsored Links
Not at all......!
When you switch on your PIR for the first time, the lamp comes on for a few minutes, and then it goes back to sleep until its dark and someone walks by.
The time interval for it to remain lit and the light level at which it responds is usually adjustable.
Its also usually possible to override the PIR part by switching the unit off and then on again quickly - the lamp then remains on.
John :)

If buying a PIR outside light I would confirm that it will take a LED bulb (or compact fluorescent as a second best) as some are not designed to. Any that switch the lamp with a relay are OK. Otherwise you are saddled with regular bulb changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back