Replacing fencing on different bases - concrete and soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our garden fencing has taken a bit of a battering lately, so I'm looking to replace it all. Currently it's wooden posts and standard lap panels, but I would like to replace with concrete posts (not as pretty, but easier for future maintenance) and better quality vertical closeboard panels.

My issue is this - some of the existing posts go directly into the ground, which is fine, but on one side of the garden they go onto a concrete block wall. This is because the garden that we back onto on that side is about 1m lower than ours, and the wall essentially retains our garden (hope that makes sense) with the fence sat on top.

The question is then, is there a way of using concrete posts and attaching them to the top of the existing concrete wall? I can't see how that would work in the same way you can with a wooden post (i.e. using a metal post support).

The way I see it is I have the following options:

1) Use wooden posts throughout instead, and just use the fence post supports (would rather not do this)

2) Use a mix of concrete post for the ones into earth and wood for the ones on the concrete (would look a bit funny)

3) Use concrete posts throughout, but instead of putting them on top of the concrete wall, set them just inside it (losing a few inches of garden space of course). If I went with this option, I presume I couldn't just butt the post up against the wall and then add concrete to the three other sides around it?

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly received. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back