Replacing freestanding gas oven with separate hob/cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
For illustrative purposes I have drawn a diagram here:

kitchen work .jpg

I am installing a new electric oven to my mum's kitchen as she has a very old freestanding gas oven which has reached the end of it's life and she wants something more modern. I want to make sure I am getting the wiring correct as I will be hiring a gas engineer to install the gas hob and he will need to come twice : once to disconnect the existing gas oven and back again once I have installed the new length of worktop and plumbed in the gas hob and fitted the housing unit for the electric oven.

Before I go out and buy the cooker connection unit I just want to make sure whether this is correct or not?
If it is incorrect what have I got wrong?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
have you purchased the oven already ? often these days single ovens come with a 13A plug already attached
I like your thinking. No it doesn't have a 13amp plug but I can fit one.
Plugging the gas hob into the double socket would be a better idea I suppose.
Would wiring the gas hob into the connection unit with the cooker be acceptable though if I was to choose that option?

Whats the KW rating of the oven and any installation instructions, make and model may also help here , I will leave for one of the Many Electrical guys to reply, But if it had a 13A socket already installed that would have solved the issue , as I know many ovens do - as i have fitted quite a few my self or advised.

Sponsored Links
Whats the KW rating of the oven and any installation instructions, make and model may also help here , I will leave for one of the Many Electrical guys to reply, But if it had a 13A socket already installed that would have solved the issue , as I know many ovens do - as i have fitted quite a few my self or advised.
It's a Zanussi ZOB31301XK
I've looked everywhere but I can't see what wattage this oven is

You don’t need another 45 amp connection unit as you already have one which you have labelled 45 a switch with 13 amp socket.

If the oven can be used with a 13a plug as a general rule it will come fitted with one.

Version 2.jpg

Ok, so I've had a chance to take a better look at what is here.

The photo is showing the cooker switch with a single socket but there is no 13amp fuse, only a switch for the cooker and a switch for the singe socket.

A double socket then spurs of that cooker socket onto the other side of the wall.

So I intend to plug the cooker into the double socket with a 13amp plug as discussed already.
I am assuming the gas hob can be plugged in with a 3amp plug as it draws practically no electricity ?

Is this acceptable ? I need to make absolute sure what I am doing is ok.
Thanks for the help you guys it is much appreciated.

What I find confusing is that the cooker switch does not say what the amperage is and it does not say what amperage the single socket is either.

But then again neither do these : https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...-13a-dp-switched-socket-white-with-neon/52668

I'm guessing it may be displayed on the back of the faceplate or maybe all cooker switches come 'as standard' with a 45amp and a 13amp single socket.

So you will have a 2.5mm cable for a spur on a 40a circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back