Replacing Fused Switch with Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, Am looking for advice on replacing a light switch in my conservatory. I currently have a four lamp spot which is wired to a Fused Rocker Switch, this seems to be similar to those used for appliances and it boasts both load and supply wiring.

I have bought a 2 way Dimmer switch (with C, L1, L2 Terminals), is possible to directly replace the Fused Rocker and if so, how should I route the existing wiring ?

Grateful for any recommendations.

Sponsored Links
leave the s/fcu in place and install the dimmer switch next to it. it's wired off the sockets and needs fusing down.

bas the op mentioned the conservatory that's why i'm assuming fused down.

Sponsored Links
I have bought a 2 way Dimmer switch (with C, L1, L2 Terminals), is possible to directly replace the Fused Rocker and if so, how should I route the existing wiring ?

It is very likely that the S/FCU has been used to down fuse from a nearby socket in the location, this would need investigating and confirming either way. If the supply has been taken this type of power source, that requires to be down fused, then you will still require a FCU.
This can be be placed by a nearby socket, it could be possible that the existing cable can still be used and then the dimmer switch fitted to the box vacated by the S/FCU.

PICTURES!!
Pictures of what? Unless we were very lucky (e.g. surface wiring!), I cannot think of any easily-taken photos which would shed much light on the main (if not only) question (what is supplying the FCU). What am I missing?

Much better, I would have thought (and per BAS's suggestion), to ask the OP which MCB/fuse is determining whether the light in question works or not, or something like that.

Kind Regards, John

LOVEJOY pictures not required.

Easy way to confirm this.

Turn on your conservatory lights.
Turn off the MCBs in your consumer unit one at a time.
Idcentify the one that makes the lights go off.
If it is a 32A or 20A one marked sockets then that fused switch has to stay.
If it is a 6amp lighting circuit then you can replace with a dimmer.

LOVEJOY pictures not required. ... Easy way to confirm this. ... Turn on your conservatory lights. ... Turn off the MCBs in your consumer unit one at a time. ... Idcentify the one that makes the lights go off. ... If it is a 32A or 20A one marked sockets then that fused switch has to stay. ... If it is a 6amp lighting circuit then you can replace with a dimmer.
Quite so ...
Much better, I would have thought (and per BAS's suggestion), to ask the OP which MCB/fuse is determining whether the light in question works or not, or something like that.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks for all your replies, it seems the light is on the 32A Socket circuit, which would explain the fused switch. I was hoping the solution would be a little more simple but am grateful for the clarification.

Pictures of what?

If the OP posts a picture of the set-up, we can see how it has been installed WRT trunking etc and advise how he can adapt the existing install to incorporate what they require.

If it's obvious (or easy to find out) what socket is supplying it, you might be able to move the sFCU next to that socket (which requires some distress work), then put the dimmer where the sFCU was.

If you can do this, replace with a non-switched FCU so people can't accidentally turn of the light in the conservatory.

If the conservatory has a plasterboard wall, you could swap out the box behind the S-FCU, with a dual module dryliner box, and mount the dimmer next to it instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back