Replacing laminate with carpet. Underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At present in the living room we have a laminate floor that has (quickstep combifloor underlay with DPM), the missus wants to replace this with carpet so our 6 month old can crawl about.

What I need to know is what do I do with the underlay.

I know you cannot use carpet underlay for laminate flooring but not sure about laminate underlay for carpet.

Or is it best to put carpet underlay on top of the laminate underlay ? As this will keep the DPM.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to keep a dpm?

Is your lounge damp?

Or are you trying to save money? If so then to answer your question - No it is not suitable for carpet. You should be guided by your local independant carpet retailer (who will advise you as I have have done)

Thanks

No the lounge isn't damp. Just thought it may be better to keep the dpm to stop any damp forming, or will that no happen with carpet ?

If damp won't be a problem with carpet i'll just remove the current underlay and replace with carpet specific underlay.

I am sure the wood experts will confirm this....

My understanding is....

...The DPM is to protect the laminate (damp usually makes it blow), not the room.
Modern laminate is much more resiliant to damp, and it is hardly ever fitted with a DPM (certainly not common for us, our estimator only specifies it in older (cottage type) properties).
Some retailers like it because they can charge you more for it!

...I am now going to run and hide before the wood experts come and hide my battered body under one of their installations. ;)

Sponsored Links
DPM underlay (for laminates) should only be used on a concrete subfloor !! NOT a timber sub-floor..

But there is no reason i know of why it can't stay down to save on underlay for a carpet. At 3mm thickness tho, it's not going to pass as a quality carpet underlay..

I'll hide with you Lymm when the carpet fitters arrive !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back