Replacing lintel above garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice if anyone has any to offer :)

The project this Summer (assuming we get one of course!) is to reroof our garage, but whilst inspecting it I noticed some of the bricks above the door lintel (which is wooden) had dropped. I removed a wooden plank that had been nailed to the lintel some time ago and realised the lintel was rotten at both ends and this had caused the bricks to move.

Now I'm wondering the best way to proceed.

Do I mortar the dropped bricks back into place before removing and replacing the lintel, or should I take down all the brickwork above the lintel and basically start again from scratch?

It's only a garage so I don't want to spend mega bucks if I can avoid it. :)

I've posted a few photos to illustrate what I mean.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone has to offer.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
Take it all down, don't mess about propping such a small amount of wall.

Also consider reinstating in timber and plastic instead of masonry

I think you'll have to remove the bricks above the wooden frame/lintel. Re setting the bricks before removal of the wood, will leave them totally unsupported and looking at the length of the wood, they'd fall down anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys.

Take it all down, don't mess about propping such a small amount of wall.
Also consider reinstating in timber and plastic instead of masonry

That's something I'd not considered Woody, reinstating in timber faced off with plastic. That way I won't have to employ the skills of a bricky :)

Re setting the bricks before removal of the wood, will leave them totally unsupported and looking at the length of the wood, they'd fall down anyway.

That's what I was afraid of Jockscott.

Thanks again to both of you,
Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back