Replacing Living Room Light W/ LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i'm going to ditch my living room light due to it hanging down too far and being annoying;
87WZPc7m

light.jpg

got myself a new LED from amazon,
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08Z3CZQ7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so am i right in thinking i should be able to just drop the old one and wire up the LED one - i don't think this current light has an earth, i can't see to check. if it does, do i need to do anything w/ it given the LED doesn't use it?
was wondering about cutting down the length of the power cable but i think i'll judst feed it back up into the ceiling.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean about cutting the supply cable or poking it in ceiling , the wood bit on the ceiling and the wire hanging down is part of the old light, this is all removed and you connect to the wires behind, likely about 6 wires there plus an earth most proberly.
If the led does not need earth then you simply leave the earth unused

if you like the light but it just hangs too low remove a few links of the chain and it will be higher

Sponsored Links
ta for replies.
the cable comes through the wooden block on the ceiling, was going to pull the block off and then push the cable back into the ceiling as the new light is flush fitting.
i take it the 6 wires would be 2 to each bulb? i thought it was a normal cable and the light unit itself split the power out, the cable doesn't seem thicker than the other light cables in the house.

The visible cable is part of your light fitting ,there will be circuit cables within the base that will connect to it.

That fitting will not look very 'plush' for a living room. Fine for a kitchen, utility or similar utilitarian area, but not a living room. Good idea to move to LED, but swap your present three lamps for LED versions. If the fitting is too low, remove some of the links from the chain.

Removing links, will make the flex too long either shorten it at the top, or remove the fitting's bottom cover and shorten it down there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back