Replacing old Boiler. Location suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point my old Stelrad Ideal Elan is likely to need replacing.
We have been here 21 years and it was here when we moved in. New gas valve about 15 years ago.

Is it worth replacing for better efficiency? It works fine.
In the last year or 2, I have removed and flushed all the rads. Ran some X400 for a few weeks and fitted a magnetic filter.
Temp is either low or high. No adjustment. Run it on low most of the time. Only high when very cold out.
Hot water via a Fortic cylinder in the loft. Hot water flow is OK but not great.

It is located in a cupboard in our en-suite
The guy who replaced the valve had a bit of a moan that he had to lie down :)
Could a replacement go into the same place? Pump and 3 way valve in the main bathroom.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220828_125628.jpg
    20220828_125628.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220828_125755.jpg
    20220828_125755.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
yes no reason why you couldnt get a replacement to fit in thesame place, but if its working and is ok I wouldnt be in any rush, poor baby having to lay on the floor to change thegas valve

Cheers

The guy that fitted our smart meter a year or so ago had to officially tell me that I would save money and energy by changing it.
Then said: To be honest you probably won't save money with the cost of installing a new boiler and how long it might last.

Obviously gas prices are on the way up just wondered if it was worth being proactive.

Sponsored Links
You have to think new boiler will more than likely have a magnetic filter. It might be a tight squeeze

Reactions: DP
Boilers come with big warranties if fitted correctly. Save on insurance and more peace of mind.... bit the bullet

At some point my old Stelrad Ideal Elan is likely to need replacing.
We have been here 21 years and it was here when we moved in. New gas valve about 15 years ago.

Is it worth replacing for better efficiency? It works fine.
In the last year or 2, I have removed and flushed all the rads. Ran some X400 for a few weeks and fitted a magnetic filter.
Temp is either low or high. No adjustment. Run it on low most of the time. Only high when very cold out.
Hot water via a Fortic cylinder in the loft. Hot water flow is OK but not great.

It is located in a cupboard in our en-suite
The guy who replaced the valve had a bit of a moan that he had to lie down :)
Could a replacement go into the same place? Pump and 3 way valve in the main bathroom.

Thanks
If you do go for a combi boiler, that space may not be sufficient if top flued and need for bottom maintenance clearance
It might be prudent to get the boiler serviced as per makers manual
It is not unknown for the heat exchanger to fail where the pipe is attached to the heat exchanger
The heat exchanger matrix often blocks up where the water enters the heat exchanger ( condensation related).
This should be cleared else efficiency will diminish
If you want to save fuel, instal better controls.
If the property is small, then forget above as the gain will not be sufficient

You have to think new boiler will more than likely have a magnetic filter. It might be a tight squeeze
Boilers come with big warranties if fitted correctly. Save on insurance and more peace of mind.... bite the bullet

Already have a mag filter. No insurance on the boiler or anything else other than house and car

If you do go for a combi boiler, that space may not be sufficient if top flued and need for bottom maintenance clearance
It might be prudent to get the boiler serviced as per makers manual
It is not unknown for the heat exchanger to fail where the pipe is attached to the heat exchanger
The heat exchanger matrix often blocks up where the water enters the heat exchanger ( condensation related).
This should be cleared else efficiency will diminish
If you want to save fuel, instal better controls.
If the property is small, then forget above as the gain will not be sufficient

Useful to know about the combi
Had it serviced 15 years ago :) He gave it a brush and hoover. I do have a CO detector in the same cupboard.
It was a bit whiny on high prior to running the X400 through.

Property is 1930s 3 bed semi with large 2 storey extension. Mrs works from home.
Have a programmable stat in the hall to vary the temp throughout the day.
Did look at Evohome, Tado, etc. Maybe need a wireless stat? Tried a standalone programmable TRV where the Mrs works.
Changed the manual valves to TRVs late last year. Towel rail on manual.
In the process of sorting the collapsed (slate/general dust and fallen torching) 100mm loft insulation and will take to 300mm.

Used 19300 kWh last Year. Oven and hob are gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back