Replacing part of sealant round bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a mold spot on the silicone sealant around my bath tub that won't go away when I try to clean it. Can I replace only a part of the sealant around the bath (the rest looks fine), or will water start to leak between the old and new sealant?

Sponsored Links
No, best to remove it all and start again. Always best to do the job properly!! :)

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the sealant around the bath continues up the wall in corners and then around the ceiling in half the bathroom. A lot of sealant to replace for one mould stain...

Prob is that new sealant doesn't stick to old sealant that well, and also a mould problem may be more widespread than you think. Ideally you should start again.
What cleaning have you used? When I was in student digs, I would leave bleach on there for hours.. sometimes overnight, sometimes soak a bit of toilet paper in bleach and leave it on the worst bits. Did the trick nicely and perhaps trying other things out if you've not tried them yet may just save you the trouble for a while.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, tried a few things, but might try the bleach overnight thing first

The "HG" brand anti-mold stuff is very good, seems to be better than bleach or the supermarket stuff like Dettol anti mold. Its about 5 quid from the DIY sheds. Powerful stuff, so be careful with it.
If you do have to re-seal the bath, I recommend Dow Corning 785, its very hard-wearing and is resistant to mold growth. However, it is a pig of a job to do really well !

Left the mould stain covered in bleach over night and that did actually remove it.
Thanks a lot for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back