Replacing porch light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing one of these lights for my brother.

ba7c668c-2296-4d69-a4b7-fff06a8c20a1.jpeg
The new light appears to be a similar size and design.

I’m not happy with that T&E cable and wondering what I can do to make it tidier and safer. I am assuming - will check- that it’s the switch cable.

He won’t want me to start cutting holes into walls and ceilings inside to conceal the cable.

Wondering if there is a type of conduit or something else that is suited for this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
T&E cable is really not designed for use outdoors due to UV effects, But its there now, maybe some sort of cable conduit is needed.
There are many options to make it better but need to see the light that you are fitting to give you the best guidance.

T&E cable is really not designed for use outdoors due to UV effects, But its there now, maybe some sort of cable conduit is needed.
There are many options to make it better but need to see the light that you are fitting to give you the best guidance.
It’s ostensibly the same light; a lantern. I only have these pictures of its base.

I was thinking about using conduit but weren’t sure about the detail where it reaches the light.

Attachments

• 03f0d73a-44c4-4f57-9e59-4e656de7f874.jpeg
    03f0d73a-44c4-4f57-9e59-4e656de7f874.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 64759e1a-71cf-4c12-abe0-3a9d61d3ef87.jpeg
    64759e1a-71cf-4c12-abe0-3a9d61d3ef87.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
make a join in the PVC trunking.
Am I okay to use the push-in connectors for this, given that they will be within this trunking?
Also, would you opt for white or black trunking in this situation?
Thanks for your help

The joint will be accessible so anything that will fit will be fine. Those Ideal in line connectors you can get from ScrewFarce would be OK.

As for colour, good grief mate, you will have to think for yourself, sometimes. But I suppose its Christmas so I'll give you a hint.
Take a look at the photo, the wall is brick red, the ceiling is white and so is the fill between the red brick and the white ceiling.
Do you really think that a strip of black trunking would look best in this situation?

The joint will be accessible so anything that will fit will be fine. Those Ideal in line connectors you can get from ScrewFarce would be OK.

As for colour, good grief mate, you will have to think for yourself, sometimes. But I suppose its Christmas so I'll give you a hint.
Take a look at the photo, the wall is brick red, the ceiling is white and so is the fill between the red brick and the white ceiling.
Do you really think that a strip of black trunking would look best in this situation?
Thanks again @Taylortwocities.
Came across this image and was torn on the black v white:
1702979805623.png

As you know, the light fitting is black.

Ask your bruv then. He’s going to see if every time he comes home! But you don’t need a chunky bit of 20mm conduit for one bit of lighting cable.

The single cable to this light is likely to be a permanent live. Not a switched live as I initially suspected. There is no switch for this light.
When I installed PIR lights as my own place, I opted for a switch and then had a single switch live going out to the light. This also meant that I could override the PIR operation using the switch.

I will investigate further when on-site and carry out safe isolation before I switch it over but wanted to check if this method of install has any issues that I haven't considered. I might be able to add a switch but it will add to what was suppose to be a simple job (and favour!).

Every job is a voyage of discovery. Its difficult enough to carry out detective work via a keyboard. The only way to be sure is to go to site, with the appropriate test kit, and use your expertise to engineer a solution.
But it often isnt simple.
I often start out with Donald Romsfeld's famous quote ringing in my head:
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These the are things we don't know we don't know.

Every job is a voyage of discovery. Its difficult enough to carry out detective work via a keyboard. The only way to be sure is to go to site, with the appropriate test kit, and use your expertise to engineer a solution.
But it often isnt simple.
I often start out with Donald Romsfeld's famous quote ringing in my head:
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These the are things we don't know we don't know.
Understood and I plan to investigate further. If I do establish that it only has a permanent live, does that present any issues? Other than the usability that I stated earlier. Is this an allowable solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back