Replacing Radial circuits ?

Hopefully I'll be able to find a path down to the cellar again so I can continue it along to the other cct to complete a ring instead (that way I wont have to buy another MCB).

Not buy another MCB - even expensive MK ones are well under £3 around here - a pint of beer is more in this neck of the woods.

Sponsored Links
The Cu I have is Crabtree star breaker & AFAIK its full, when purchasing it I bought it with all the MCB's in to a plan. What I was meaning in the previous statement is that if I can make this cct into a ring I wont need a new MCB as I have 32A ones ready & waiting for the cct.

Although I may get myself another RCD & have to hoike a couple out.

(its not fitted yet, I dare not until I have improved the mess that is the current house wiring).

I have located some steel trunking already, do I have to fit anything on the ends as I said before or can I just file them smooth & leave the cable coming out & up directly below the sockets?

I'd use grommets, or grommet strip if I were you.

How do you plan to earth the conduit?

How do you plan to earth the conduit?

I hadn't planned on it in the first place as this is an exisiting cable.
But I suppose that I could drill & tap it with a flush internal bolt or use one of the earth tags used on 15mm piping,wired to the socket earth?

What would you reccomend.

Sponsored Links
Hang on - I'm confused (partly my doing). You said trunking, and it was I that changed that to conduit, but now you are talking about the clamps used on pipes - how would one of those attach to trunking?

Plus trunking is thin - you won't be able to tap a hole in it.

You could use bolts, with earth wires attached via crimped eyelets. (All plurals because you need to earth the body and the lid of the trunking).

Screwed joints need to be accessible for inspection - you might prefer to use pop rivets, as they are a compression joint.

Sorry, getting confused myself now.

I have easy access to lots of 20mm steel conduit.
As much as its hard to work with, I also have a conduit vice & even tapping gear so I suppose I can do almost anything with it as long as I ask the right chap at work to let me have a go :D

Thats what I would put the clamp around if it fits, or I'd just use whatever conduit earthing stuff is normally used, chap at work should know they fit it.

The way to use it is to thread the end and bush it onto the metal box, which you earth.

If you're not doing that, then you need to earth it somehow - pipe clamps will be a bit bulky - guess you could drill & tap a hole, or rivet it.

Could you braze one of those copper crimp lugs meant for plumbing pipe?

As for the ends, if you're not bushing, you need some of these:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back