Replacing radiator with new valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been scouring the previous topics and it doesn't seem to have been a problem for anybody else so I hope this is very simple:

I am replacing a radiator in my bathrom. I want to replace it with a chrome 'towel-rail' style radiator. However, the new radiator has different connections at the bottom, which means I'll have to replace the valves.

The valves need to enter the new radiator vertically, from the bottom, unlike the old one, where they entered the side of the bottom of the rad.

I have bought new valves, which come up vertically from the pipes out of the floorboards and would go straight into the rad.

I have taken the old rad off by closing the old valves off at either end, then undoing the connections betw the valves and rad, and lifting it off the wall. I am now left with two pipes and closed valves sitting free.

My question is: How do i now take the old valves offand put the new ones on without water spurting everywhere?!

I've got a combi boiler and have switched off the mains water inlet under the sink so at present none of the taps work. I've checked that all the other rads are switched to zero on their thermostats and that none of the bleed valves are open, so I thought there wouldn't be any way of air getting in to replace the water that spurts out. (and it comes with quite some force so I don't think its just a bit leftover coming through).

Please can somebody help?!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
How do i now take the old valves offand put the new ones on without water spurting everywhere?!

You have to drain down, preferably via the rad underneath the one you are working on. Hope your pipes fit into the new rad or you will have to modify the pipework a little.

Check out FAQ for how to refill your system :D

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry I've not responded earlier to you, but how do I 'drain down'?

Do you mean that I have to take the radiator which the water flows on to next (which one I don't know) off the wall and remove all the water from that one?

Also, I live in a single storey ground floor flat and therefore there isn't a radiator literally 'below' the one I'm working on.

Sorry if I may be asking questions with obvious answers but this is the only way to learn!

Thanks

elliotdavis10 said:
Thanks for replying. I'm sorry I've not responded earlier to you, but how do I 'drain down'?

Do you mean that I have to take the radiator which the water flows on to next (which one I don't know) off the wall and remove all the water from that one?

Also, I live in a single storey ground floor flat and therefore there isn't a radiator literally 'below' the one I'm working on.

Sorry if I may be asking questions with obvious answers but this is the only way to learn!

Thanks

Better get a plumber or check the home insurance under botched diy

Sponsored Links
There should be a drain cock on a low point of the system, could be on the pipe work to a radiator. Attach a hose to this and open.

Re-fill system via filling loop and add inhibitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back