Replacing Rcbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hager consumer unit which has a Hager Rcbo 10amp ADB110 fitted.
This is for an outside double socket.
Sometimes this will trip because of the drill etc being used.
I am to buy a Hager Rcbo 16amp ADB116 and swap it over.
With all this Part P now is this ok for me to swap it,doesn't look hard at all.

Whilst i am doing this i wish to also install a double socket inside the garage & would like to also have this Rcbo 16amp cover it.
Do i need to make connection in the back of the outside socket or can i use a junction box inside and make the connection.
The wire in use at present is grey flat wire 6mm
Please advise thanks.

Sponsored Links
To comply with Part P you really need to comply with BS7671. To comply with BS7671 you need to inspect and test, and to do that you need the test gear. So in real terms it is unlikely you can comply with Part P, but neither can any other DIY guy. Yet B&Q is full of electrical items and loads of other items which the DIY man can't fit and comply with the regulations. So clearly many people simply don't worry about the regulations.

There comes a point where you, and only you have to make the choice, DIY or don't DIY. It's no good asking anyone else. You make the choice don't ask any one else to make it for you. All Part P documents are free down load you decide.

As to a junction box I try to use as few as I can. But again you are signing the document so only you can decide best option. In the main it's all common sense, problem is common sense is not very common.

Would I DIY it? Yes I would. Would I use a JB? Unlikely. But what you do is up to you.

Part P applies to all domestic work, it does not disqualify you from undertaking these tasks, providing you can perform them safely and make reasonably provisions for safety and comply to the relevant regulations.
Changing a RCBO in a CU, is not identified as notifiable work, but you are changing the characteristic of this circuit and it would be wise to have the skill to inspect and test the circuit before putting it back into service. If this is beyond your scope, regardless of how easy it looks! Then you would be advised to employ someone whose scope it is not beyond!

Sponsored Links
Changing a RCBO in a CU, is not identified as notifiable work, but you are changing the characteristic of this circuit ...
I agree, in that I would not personally regard it as notifiable, but I think some people would say that up-rating the OPD constituted 'creating a new circuit', hence notifiable, wouldn't they?

Kind Regards, Johgn

There's something a little odd about why a double socket (presumably 13A type) was wired with a 10A MCB in the first place.

Notifiable or not, it needs a protective device that's suitable for the circuit.
It does, and we don't yet have an answer to your question about the size of the cable. I would hope that a socket had been installed with cable that was man enough to be protected by a 16A OPD, but who knows?!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Crucial typo corrected (wasn't -> was)!

Last edited:
I agree, in that I would not personally regard it as notifiable, but I think some people would say that up-rating the OPD constituted 'creating a new circuit', hence notifiable, wouldn't they?
I personally would notify the work as a new circuit, as you have pointed out the circuit rating has changed and that could lead to the conclusion that the circuit is new. To add to that the fact that we are unsure why a 10A device has been used and this maybe due to the existing cable sizing, it could evolve into new circuit in it's entirety anyway. Thus becoming notifiable.

Regardless of the above, replacing a protective device should not be considered as a standard DIY job, even if it looks simple enough as considered by the OP, which leaves me thinking this is not a task they are familiar with!

There's something a little odd about why a double socket (presumably 13A type) was wired with a 10A MCB in the first place.
I recently came across a situation where a double socket outlet had been spurred in 1.00mm flex. The customer had said that he was not happy about the spur, as they believed it did not comply to the regs, due to it being a second spur from the socket ! Then I was asked if I could connect it directly to the distribution board, using the same cable?
The DB was only a matter of 300mm-400mm and enough scope for the cable to be re-terminated, the customer was a retired electrician and because a 16A RCBO was present thought this fine to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back