Replacing rotting sections of wooden fascia board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut out and replace two sections (up to now) of wooden fascia board, about 2 metres in all. These on a 1970's bungalow which has asbestos
underboards (barge-boards ?).
Would appreciate any advice please including the best way to cut out sections of the existing boards (best tool) etc.
I propose to prime and paint back and front before fitting. Do I just butt the new boards to the existing. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Strip off the tiles, cut out with a saw to nearest joist, fit your new timber, treat and paint. :cool:

Obviously i'm on about the fascia, leave the asbestos soffit in place. You may need to route out a channel for the soffit to sit a few mm into the back of the fascia.

If it is the barge board (verges) and the barge is supporting the undercloak the tiles will need stripped, mortar bed and undercloak removed and refitted once you have renewed the section of barge.

Sponsored Links
i have done this several times
a reciprocal saw 2 batons 1mm shorter than the shoe to fully extended blade length
affix the batons a blade width apart on the cut line

Depends how much support the barge is lending to the undercloak.
Have removed undercloak which has been nailed to the barge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back