Replacing shed attached to side of house with a slightly taller one (under 2.5m) - permission needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I've got what is essentially a shed attached to the side of my semi, it's got a decaying flat felt (part torch on, part patched) roof and it needs replacing, but I'm also planning on making better use of the space so want to give it some insulation.

The building is 2.3 meters high, so my plan was to go with a warm roof using framed 100mm kingspan/celotex PIR, ply on top and then EPDM. This would take the total height up to around 2.4M.

Am I right in thinking this is permitted development given its both an essential replacement (the current roof leaks), and still under the 2.5 meter limit for a shed. I wasn't too sure if the fact its attached to the side of the house makes a difference or not.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Technically anything attached to your house is an extension not an outbuilding so should comply with that criteria.

Ah interesting, hadn't thought of that but I guess it would count as a sort of lean-to. The rules for that look to be no higher than 3m if under 2 meters from the boundary (which it is) without planning, otherwise its permitted development so sounds like it's ok.

within 2m is 2.5 not 3m
but iff tastefully done may be off no interest so not reported ??

Sponsored Links
If the only impact on the external appearance is the new roof, albeit higher but which is still within the PD criteria, then its a repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back