Replacing silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’ve had a tradesman come round to replace the silicone sealant around the base of the shower which is about 120cm. He says it will take quite a long time to do (1-2hrs) because it’s always hard to remove the old seal. Is that correct? I thought it would have come off quite easily so just wanted to make sure that’s correct before he comes. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Could you post a picture Hayley please

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the strip that needs replacing

Attachments

• 87AE1592-DCF1-41D0-B36F-BB142648AE2F.jpeg
    87AE1592-DCF1-41D0-B36F-BB142648AE2F.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 252
Sponsored Links
Depends on a few things, how degraded the old silicone is, how thick the line of it is and the surfaces that its attached to, it can be either a really quick easy job or an absolute nightmare.
A couple of hours is a long time but if it comes off in 5mm sections instead of getting a wedge of it out & pulling huge chunks off at once it could take that long, if both edges are smooth/sealed surfaces it should just come out with a bit of scoring from a knife & be out in 5 mins.

Make sure he doesn't charge you more than £25.

Andy

I would not do that job for a £200 per hour. I can think of easier ways to earn money, rather than be on my hand and knees scratching away at stubborn silicone and easily marked shower trays and tiles.

Absolutely horrendous, thankless, hideous way to earn a crust. I'd rather remove my own eyes with a spoon.

Horrible job.

done several bathrooms / showers over the years. Quickest I've done it is around 2 hours - mainly cause the silicon has been left to fester for years.
I'd reckon 2-4 hours to remove and treat with 'silicon eater' and clean up. Needs to be allowed to dry before new is applied.

Need anything from 30 mins to an hour to renew, tool/finish and clean up. Then a couple of hours (or better still, ovenight) to cure.

I'd say he's right. Can take over an hour to remove old stuff.

Yes you're right sometimes it can be a real pain getting it all off, even when using silicone removing fluid.
It takes ages to get it all off !

The tradesman you've got is obviously experianced !!!!!!

Yes and you won't find a skilled man working for less that £18/hour these days. I would want £40 for the job plus £7-8 for a tube of "Forever White" (only stuff worth using in a shower).

Sponsored Links
Back