replacing steps with timber decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

patio doors at back of house open onto a small concrete slab threshold and then 3 steps down into garden. Looking to replace all of this with timber decking. Before I go and ask council planning could you give me your thoughts please whether you think i will need planning permission. I'm thinking yes but that's just a guess.

I don't know about how combustible timber decking is but any thoughts also about this with respect to having timber so close to the house? :?:

thanks in advance, cheers

Sponsored Links
You can not have a timber frame or decking attached to the house without a 10mm gap.
The deck needs to be no more than 30cm from ground level (i.e. the garden area) seeing as you have 3 steps I'm assuming that it would be higher than 30cm once finished.

Best phone the planning office and ask if you need planning permission. If they say no, get a refernece number from them so there is no come back later on once it's finished.

With or without planning, you'll probably need building regs. Again best check with them.

thanks for comments Pinnacle, like you say i'll check with planning etc but that gives me some thoughts, cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks, i'm believing i will needing planning and building approvals (oh dear again) and will draught out some for submitting. Good site that, interesting, thanks

PS pinnacle looked at a link to a deck you had done - impressive!

Can you leave the steps there but give them a decking face? screw the decking direct onto the concrete steps for effect?

yes make shure you space off the wall by 10/12mm
also overlooking neibours may be your biggest problem with the height affecting there privacy :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back