Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of IP Cams outside my house and one them is a Foscam FI9853EP PoE cam.

The stock f:2.8 70° lenses is just not wide enough for the 90° inside wall corner where the cam is installed in, so today I went ahead and ordered a f:2.8 115° lens.

Hopefully it will fit, but even if it doesn't, at the cost of £3.35 + P&P it is not that much of a loss. Much better than the £45 a US eBay seller wanted for a compatible lens.

This is what I ordered: http://eud.dx.com//product/replacement-fixed-iris-wide-angle-lens-for-cctv-camera-2-8mm-844051866

Will post side by side comparison shots when the new lens comes, For now some pictures of the existing lens:

Regards: Elliott

Sponsored Links
Big question ....is the lens
A ... A megapixel lens
B ... Ir corrected
C ... The correct format

Best of luck

A: Not sure, but the FI9853EP is a 720P cam.

The cam has a 1/4" CMOS sensor according to the link below, and the lens I have bought is designed for a 1/3" sensor according to DX.com

https://www.pollin.de/shop/downloads/D723694D.PDF

B: Dont think so, hope not anyway as the IR cut filter is between the sensor and the removable lens.

C: Size wise, I think so. Focal length of both lenses is the same as mentioned. Otherwise, will just have to check when new lens arrives.

Last edited:
Hey eveares,

could you please tell how good it worked!
I have the same cam and would also like to do that upgrade.

Thx!

Sponsored Links
could you please tell how good it worked!

Well I went for a 170° lens, but it had a focal distance of 1mm instead of 2mm. Thought no problem, can just screw it in further. Well I screwed it in to much and broke the IR cut lenses so had to replace the IR cut assembly as well.

Using the above linked 115° lens now what gives a field of view of 86.25° due to the Foscam having a 1/4" sensor. (The lens is designed for a 1/3" sensor what is 1.33 x larger.) So far all good, although can't say the increased field of view is that noticeable.

This is the night time view:

Regards: Elliott.

Hi Elliott! Thank you very much for your fast reply and the effort you spent. That helps a lot.
So maybe I try to get a more fisheye lese.

Hi Elliot. Thanks for your informative post as I also have a Foscam FI9853ep camera with a viewing angle that is just too narrow. I joined this form solely to ask: which lens should I purchase to (safely) increase my field of vision without running the risk of breaking the IR lenses? The link you provided is for the one that caused you headaches I would rather avoid.

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back