Replacing the battery on a veritas R8 alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got a Veritas R8 alarm. The "unset" button is flashing, from a Google, it looks like it could be a faulty battery (no fuses or circuits have tripped). I've ordered a new battery (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J8NECV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I've got a couple of questions about fitting it

1. Removal: is it a case of disconnecting the negative first (black), then positive (red)?
2. Replacement: add positive first and then connect negative terminal last?

Also, I'm a little worried about the live mains power to the board whilst I do this? Should I power off the mains first? My concern is that doing so will clear the alarm code and load a default I'm not aware of.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks
J

Attachments

• R8 picture.PNG
    R8 picture.PNG
    947.3 KB · Views: 203
Sponsored Links
Firstly the battery you have ordered is tiny 1Ah

As long as you don't short them out it wont matter on the order so much.

Must people would replace the battery without down powering the panel, although it is safer to down power the panel first, as then you don't have to worry bout touching anything that might be live.

Last edited:
OK, thanks.

Is that the wrong battery? The specs looked the same as the old one (12v, 1.3ah)

It’s not wrong in the sense it is compatible, as it’s already ordered leave it be.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as I first thought (not much in life is!)

I couldn't get the old battery off, it looks like the wires and ends are corroded together (see picture).

I'm wondering if I can just replace the black and red battery cables (highlighted in the second picture), but I'm not sure where I can buy replacements from - any ideas?
Also, it would be much appreciated if someone can give me an idea of how fiddly a job it would - I'm wondering whether I'd be better off just paying an electrician/alarm engineer.

Thanks

Attachments

• battery terminals.jpg
    battery terminals.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 230
  • fuseboard wire.jpg
    fuseboard wire.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 388
You can buy female spade connectors from Halfords or Screwfix.
Just cut off corroded connectors and crimp new spade connector on end of cable.
You can use a pair of piles to crimp wire onto spade connector.

Thanks for the advice guys, I bought the spade connectors - all done now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back